CKT WIRE COUNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Exactly... LOL... Is this the electrical aisle at Home Depot or something???

Hire a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN, he'll know how many wires you need AND how many turns to turn the wire nuts!!

So why so many different answers/opinions from electricians on here?

kwired

Electron manager
You happened to pick a topic that seems to have a lot of controversy even from those with a lot of knowledge or experience in the involved area.

I have read so many different things about the problems that are trying to be solved by using IG's that I really don't know what to think, other than better design of the equipment having problems is what is really needed. Modern communications using cat5 and cat6 instead of something with a grounded conductor in it are a step in the right direction and have made this IG thing not so big of a deal anymore.

tyha

If you understand isolated ground each IG receptacle shouldn't share anything. Dedicated hot and neutral to each IG receptacle and the IG conductor goes back to the service entrance, not a sub panel.

Fortunately IG circuits are rarely needed today and are a waste of money.

-Hal

absolutely correct. unless you had an isolated ground bar in the panel, insulated from the can connected to a seperate earth ground. there is no such thing. we get drawings all the time showing isolated ground recp and thats it. the riser is no different. still one ground for the service. the truth is a ground is no different that any peice of bonded metal in the entire building.

cdslotz

Hmmmm...

If you had a homerun with (10) 1pole 20A circuits and the spec did not say isolated ground, separate neutral etc. would your wire counts be the following: (10) hots and (3) neutrals and use the conduit for the ground? These would be feeding receptacles or lighting not motors.

If there were isolated grounds speced for each circuit you would have (10) additional isolated ground wires??

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you understand isolated ground each IG receptacle shouldn't share anything. Dedicated hot and neutral to each IG receptacle and the IG conductor goes back to the service entrance, not a sub panel.

Fortunately IG circuits are rarely needed today and are a waste of money.

-Hal
absolutely correct. unless you had an isolated ground bar in the panel, insulated from the can connected to a seperate earth ground. there is no such thing. we get drawings all the time showing isolated ground recp and thats it. the riser is no different. still one ground for the service. the truth is a ground is no different that any peice of bonded metal in the entire building.
Not certain exactly what you are saying here, so perhaps I'm missing some context... but regarding the part I highlighted in red, if you mean an isolated EGC back to the main bonding jumper location, that is okay. If however you mean a separate earthing electrode or electrode system, that would be non-compliant. I have seen many installations where the subpanel isolated grounding bar was connected only to a ground rod not bonded to the building GES.

Status
Not open for further replies.