GFCI receptacles in kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

In a commercial kitchen, we've got a piece of equipment (steamer) being fed with 20A-1P GFCI receptacle. We are getting a lot of nuisance trips and we've come to learn that this is not uncommon with this particular equipment. I'm wondering if we could put in a GFEP breaker in to feed a regular receptacle and still meet the NEC requirement that all receptacles have ground fault protection in a kitchen.

Thanks,

Mike

ritelec

? does not the convenience receptacles need gfci protection (around sink area)? Seams the steamer may need it's own circ. any way.
can you hard wire or install a single recpt. for just the steamer?

mshields

conclusion

conclusion

Yeah - I concluded myself after posting this that GFEP protecting a receptacle is not going to satisfy the GFCI requirement for recetpacles in a kitchen. Concluded tha what we'd do is provide a GFEP breaker and hardwire the equipment. Doesn't need to be GFEP but seems prudent.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So it's GFCI receptacle or hardwired. I would question why the thing was tripping in the first place. :roll:

ritelec

on the money...............

sweaty hands ???,

nice call...it's not hard wired from what I see of it ........but nice call.!!!

kwired

Electron manager
I would question why the thing was tripping in the first place. :roll:

Same here, might be tripping because of overload and not because of ground fault. If it is because of ground fault, you are only increasing shock hazard by removing the GFCI, remember neutral to ground fault will not trip a standard breaker, but will increase shock hazards as the EGC is now carrying neutral current.

Status
Not open for further replies.