multi-wire home runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
We're having a little disagrement amongst my crew. Here's the cituation. We have a 3-wire home run going to a junction box. In that junction box we have 2- 12-2MC's running to individual boxes for receptacles. Then continuing on to more boxes for recetacles. That leaves us with receptacle boxes with 2- 12-2MC's. Here's the disagrement. Some say that the 2 black and white wires are required by code to be spliced down to 1 wire, because they're originally fed by a multi-wire branch circuit. Others disagree and say as long as the home run is spliced properly in the original box, there is no requirement to splice them @ each individual receptacle box.

There is no argument that there are multiple advantages to splicing every box, no need for that discussion. The only question is? Do you have to splice down all boxes down line of a multi-wire branch circuit if only 1 circuit is present in the box?

Thanks for your help! Please use code references if possible. I don't need any more opinions, trust me my crew of 10 and the office are split on this. I also will keep my opinion out for now, I don't want to taint the answer pool.

Last edited:

wirebender

IMO the locations you are asking about do not fit the definition of MWBC.

Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists
of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage
between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal
voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the
circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor
of the system.

SIRSPARKSALOT

300.13(B) Device Removal. In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of the grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt continuity.

Therefore, if you use a junction box to then split both circuits going out to receptacles you would not need to splice each receptacle wire through and use a pigtail. You have already taken care of this at the junction box.

If you used a receptacle opening to make this junction you would need to pigtail the grounded conductor there only.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The first junction box is where the mwbc needs to be connected. The neutrals in the receptacles can be cconnected to the recep. Alas long as the mwbc is not in that connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.