Working off my license

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I have journeyman electrician who has a job he wants to bid on but he does have a license. He wants to use my license and pay me and I would supervise. Is this ok

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am confused. He is a JM, and he has a license. But he wants to use your license. Why? Am I misinterpreting your question?

If you mean to say that you are a JM, and the other person is not, that you have a license and the other person does not, and he wants to use your license, then you are on shaky ground. If you really will be supervising, meaning that you will be on-site for the minimum percentage of the time that your local rules require you to be present (and not just supervising in name only), then this sounds like any normal working relationship. But if all he does is give you a fee, and if all you do is supply your license number, then this is illegal in many areas.

Please clarify the situation.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Did you miss the "I would supervise" part? As long as the Journeyman understands that the OP has final authority over the work and is willing to stand behind the work...
The "I would supervise" would not fly in most areas I am familiar with, the person doing the work would have to be a valid employee to work under someone elses license. Whether or not the person doing the work is a electrician Jman or a burger flipper doesn't change the fact that you would be selling your license to an unlicensed person.

Roger

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Did you miss the "I would supervise" part? As long as the Journeyman understands that the OP has final authority over the work and is willing to stand behind the work...

Sounds great, but it is illegal and the journeyman can not legally be held responsible to perform on a contract no matter how much he is willing to state that he will do to stand behind the work.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Did you miss the part that I am from Ohio. Did you know that I take CE applicable for Ohio. Do you think that I may have spoken with OCILB Board Secretary Carol Ross?

jwelectric

Don?t know anything about your state but here in NC all paper trails must lead to the name on the license and all employees must have withholding taken out of their pay.

So if the help is doing the work and is receiving the payment for the job then the license holder is in violation of the rules set forth.
I would bet that there are not many differences between the two states as all this will lead back to my uncle. His name is Sam and he has a lot of nieces and nephews all over this country. I think he is a little greedy as he seems to want a percentage of what all of us makes.

growler

I have journeyman electrician who has a job he wants to bid on but he does have a license. He wants to use my license and pay me and I would supervise. Is this ok

If they are going to let every Tom, Dick and Harry bid on this job and not even check to make sure they are legitimate contractors it's probably so cut-throat you would not want to be involved to start with.

If this job is worth bidding then bid it yourself and pay him a finders fee if you get it.

Last edited:

rt66electric

Jman hiring EC vs EC hiring jman

Jman hiring EC vs EC hiring jman

Every EC hires j-men to works..... standard practice Why is it Absurd for a J-man to hire a EC ?????

ARE you are comfortable with the j-mans reputation? IS he doing the estimation and legwork?? . Hire him as A j-man and turn him loose. everbody else who is an EC does.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Did you miss the part that I am from Ohio. Did you know that I take CE applicable for Ohio. Do you think that I may have spoken with OCILB Board Secretary Carol Ross?

My point was that if he is supervising, he is not selling his license. Here in Florida, and as taught by the great Mike Holt, direct supervision, and the authority to make decisions are the determining factors. We can actually qualify 5 different companies with one license. I see one person mentions California, how many times do you think the license holder of Rosendin Electric makes it out to every job his license is used on? I work for a company with less than 50 employees, and the qualifier here doesn't get to every job I run.

I am not saying that this situation is legal in Ohio. What I am saying is that if the OP is truly supervising the job, then it doesn't violate the quote you cited and it is not "selling" your license.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As Roger stated in NC you must be paid from the license holder. If the journeyman was on your payroll then it would be legit. Of course that could be a work around but not a good idea.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My point was that if he is supervising, he is not selling his license. Here in Florida, and as taught by the great Mike Holt, direct supervision, and the authority to make decisions are the determining factors. We can actually qualify 5 different companies with one license. I see one person mentions California, how many times do you think the license holder of Rosendin Electric makes it out to every job his license is used on? I work for a company with less than 50 employees, and the qualifier here doesn't get to every job I run.

I am not saying that this situation is legal in Ohio. What I am saying is that if the OP is truly supervising the job, then it doesn't violate the quote you cited and it is not "selling" your license.

If I tried to tell you what the rules are in Florida what would you say to me?

kwired

Electron manager
Very possible the employee in the OP does hold a masters or contractors license, but is currently only working in a position that only needs a journeyman license, and that is why he is called a journeyman.

Even if that is the case though, if the employer pulls the permit and lets the employee take over from there, guess who gets correction notices if any are issued? What may happen if this guy is injured while working this job? What if the owner of this property someday has a liability claim of some kind?

Employee needs to be told you either work for me, someone else, or yourself.

growler

My point was that if he is supervising, he is not selling his license.

What I am saying is that if the OP is truly supervising the job, then it doesn't violate the quote you cited and it is not "selling" your license.

I really don't think that makes any difference.

Even if the OP were to contract the job himself (his company) then he couldn't even sub the work out to an unlicensed journeyman. The only way he could even sub the work out is to another EC.

I agree that if he is on the job and supervising it that he probably will never be caught selling his licensed but that is what he is doing. The paper work will show that he is breaking the law.

No matter how you look at it you are assisting an unlicensed contractor to do electrical contracting. It doesn't matter if the glove fits or not.

guschash

Thank you good replies. As I stated I would be there to supervise very day. I make it clear that after finding out what others ( contractors and a lawyer son in law ) had to says I would make my decision. I work by self and when I need help I 1099 the help I get. What's the differents if a general contractor heirs J- man and I supervise there work. It's the same as when I heir a worker I supervise. I supervise I can't be every place when I run a job, I can only check that they doing it right. When I do get help,I use the same people all the time because I know there work. I have worked with this J-man before and know his and also the work of General Contractor. The reason am not doing the job my self is there is a lot of ladder work and I'm getting to old for that. I probably will doing more than supervise but I don't want to put myself out on a limb.

Status
Not open for further replies.