Interconnected smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullseye76

We are doing a 10-unit apartment building in a rural area with no AHJ. Trying to rough-in for 29 interconnected smoke alarms. Problem is that NFPA only allows for 12 interconnected smoke alarms with 6 additional devices. Has anyone else ran into this and how would you recommend interconnecting devices???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Call the manufacturer tech support and see what they have to do this. I am sure there must be some relays or something that will work.

RICK NAPIER

11.5.2.2 Unless otherwise permitted by the AHJ, audible fire alarm systems shall sound only in an individual dwelling unit, suite of rooms, or similar area and shall not be arranged to operate fire warning equipment or fire alarm system outside these locations. Remote annunciation shall be permitted. 2007 NFPA 72.

So you don't want to interconnect these units if they are for each dwelling unit. Besides I assume you are using the 110 volt detectors and they are not listed for multi family dwellings and would violate NEC 110.3(b) besides the relays are not monitored or battery backed and also would fail compliance.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I 100% agree with Rick. You should not be interconnecting smoke alarms from different dwellings. Only interconnect the smokes within each dwelling.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You can probably install a audible/visual alarm in the hallway outside of each unit.
On a second note, Isn't fire alarm required for multiunits?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Besides I assume you are using the 110 volt detectors and they are not listed for multi family dwellings and would violate NEC 110.3(b) besides the relays are not monitored or battery backed and also would fail compliance.

I never knew that. Is this stated in the manual that is in each detector box?

RICK NAPIER

I never knew that. Is this stated in the manual that is in each detector box?

When I stated this I was not clear. They are only rated for single family dwellings. These dwellings can be in a multifamily building but the interconnected units can only be in a single family dwelling. This is an example from a BKR manual.

Compatible Interconnected Units​
Interconnect units within a single family residence only. Otherwise allhouseholds will experience unwanted alarms when you test any unitin the series. Interconnected units will only work if they are wired tocompatible units and all requirements are met. This unit is designed tobe compatible with:​
BRK Electronics? Smoke Alarm Models 9120,9120B, SC9120B, 7010, 7010B, 4120, 4120B, 4120SB, 4919, 2002RAC,100S, 5919, 5919TH; BRK Electronics? Heat Alarm Models HD6135F,HD6135FB; BRK Electronics? CO Alarm Models CO5120BN,CO5120PDBN; Smoke/CO Alarm Model SC6120B, SC7010BV,SC7010B; and First Alert? Smoke Alarm Models SA4120, SA4120B,
SA4121B, SA4919B, SA100B.

Status
Not open for further replies.