PVC under roadway or parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was a code requirement that schedule 80 PVC must be installed under a roadway or parking lot but I cant find it anywhere in the code book. Table 300.5 shows the depth but thats all I can find. Please help.

Thanks,

Mike H.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There is no distinction between schedule 40 and schedule 80 in the code book except for a couple of places. 24'' of cover is required no matter what type of conduit you use.

Hey Jumper, where ya been?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Are you thinking of 300.5(D) Protection from Damage. Direct-buried conductors
and cables shall be protected from damage in accordance
with 300.5(D)(1) through (D)(4).

(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure
or raceway is subject to physical damage, the conductors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal
conduit, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or equivalent.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I always thought it was a code requirement that schedule 80 PVC must be installed under a roadway or parking lot but I cant find it anywhere in the code book. Table 300.5 shows the depth but thats all I can find. Please help.

Thanks,

Mike H.

Take a look at 352.10(F) Exsposed Pvc conduit shall be permitted for exposed work. Pvc conduit exposed in areas of physical damage shall be identified for the use. Schedule 80 would comply

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The references made where to clarify where schedule 80 would be used.

Where? What is "subject to physical damage"?
I believe it is ambiguous at best.

"Subject to physical damage" to some may not be the same to others...
I use schedule 40 almost everywhere. Never used schedule 80.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You being a POCO man, I would have thought you would have seen/used plenty of schd. 80.
POCOs here require schd. 80 on services that use PVC on any of it that is above ground.

Gregg Harris

Occupation

Take a look at 300.50(1)(B) it takes the ambiguity right out of it.

kwired

Electron manager
300.5(D)(1)

(D)(1) mentions protection from physical damage but does not mention use of schedule 80.

(D)(4) does mention schedule 80. How common is it for underground raceways to be subject to physical damage other than during installation or repair times, or when other excavation is happening in the area? Depending on excavation equipment RMC is not necessarily enough protection either.

Protection from burrowing rodents is a common problem around the farms, schedule 40 or even less is very effictive for this protection though.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
300.50(B) states that raceway emerging from the ground require protection to 8 feet above grade or to the point of entrance. How many would consider 2 1/2 feet down from a meter base to an LB that enters the structure subject to physical damage. Raceway does not emerge from the ground and there is 2 1/2 feet from finish grade to bottom of LB. As a rule, I say if it is within 3 feet of finish grade, regardless if it goes into the ground it is considered subject to damage.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
(D)(1) mentions protection from physical damage but does not mention use of schedule 80.

(D)(4) does mention schedule 80. How common is it for underground raceways to be subject to physical damage other than during installation or repair times, or when other excavation is happening in the area? Depending on excavation equipment RMC is not necessarily enough protection either.

Protection from burrowing rodents is a common problem around the farms, schedule 40 or even less is very effictive for this protection though.

Perhaps I should have posted 300.5 (D) Protection from Damage. Direct buried conductors and cables shall be protected from damage in accordance with 300.5(D)(1) through (D)(4).

Subsection (D)(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure or raceway is subject to physical damage,the conductors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,Schedule 80 PVC conduit or equivalent.

I should have not assumed that all viewers of the post would know that an Article is broken down into Sections and then into Subsections.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Take a look at 300.50(1)(B) it takes the ambiguity right out of it.

300.5(D)(1)

Perhaps I should have posted 300.5 (D) Protection from Damage. Direct buried conductors and cables shall be protected from damage in accordance with 300.5(D)(1) through (D)(4).

Subsection (D)(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure or raceway is subject to physical damage,the conductors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,Schedule 80 PVC conduit or equivalent.

I should have not assumed that all viewers of the post would know that an Article is broken down into Sections and then into Subsections.

Nor should they assume you posted the right section since it took 3 tries to get there.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Are you thinking of 300.5(D) Protection from Damage. Direct-buried conductors
and cables shall be protected from damage in accordance
with 300.5(D)(1) through (D)(4).

(4) Enclosure or Raceway Damage. Where the enclosure
or raceway is subject to physical damage, the conductors
shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal
conduit, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or equivalent.

Yes I am glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.