Swimming Pools & Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
I have been trying to find a code section that I could use to justify requiring a service panel to be a minimum of 10 feet from the edge of a pool. The service is not an overhead feed. The best I can find only gives me 5 feet. I have looked in Articles 230 and 680 of the NEC and Chapters 35 and 41 of the IRC.

5 feet does not "look" or "sound" right. I wouldn't want to be working in any panel with my back within 5ft of a pool! Any ideas other than suggest a code change for 2014 or 2017?;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would the panel be a problem if you work on it. Is that any different then working on an outdoor panel?

5' is the rule for underground wiring. Disconnects also have the 5' rule-- 680.12. I really don't see the issue

resistance

If you have a problem with the location being 5ft from the water, then relocate it. It must be visible and within sight (Within sight could be any visible distance not exceeding 50 feet). A permanently installed barrier is acceptable if it provides a 5ft reach path or greater.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I have been trying to find a code section that I could use to justify requiring a service panel to be a minimum of 10 feet from the edge of a pool. The service is not an overhead feed. The best I can find only gives me 5 feet. I have looked in Articles 230 and 680 of the NEC and Chapters 35 and 41 of the IRC.

5 feet does not "look" or "sound" right. I wouldn't want to be working in any panel with my back within 5ft of a pool! Any ideas other than suggest a code change for 2014 or 2017?;)

Thats not your job to "justify" imposing your opinions when reviewing or inspecting.

Lots of things that I think would be better but it is NOT the NEC by Mike P.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
The "problem" is the MAIN SERVICE PANEL is mounted on the rear wall of the home. We use combination panels, for the most part, here. The pool is being built and the edge of the pool is just outside 5ft from the panel/meter. I haven't been able to find anything on SERVICE PANELS and POOLS. I have found switches and recepticles. I know you are allowed 1 recept @ 5ft from the pool. This is not a recept. I call it NOW and have been with the 5ft rule, but it just doen't seem right. Would YOU want to work in a 200 - 400amp panel with your back within 5ft of a pool?

kwired

Electron manager
The "problem" is the MAIN SERVICE PANEL is mounted on the rear wall of the home. We use combination panels, for the most part, here. The pool is being built and the edge of the pool is just outside 5ft from the panel/meter. I haven't been able to find anything on SERVICE PANELS and POOLS. I have found switches and recepticles. I know you are allowed 1 recept @ 5ft from the pool. This is not a recept. I call it NOW and have been with the 5ft rule, but it just doen't seem right. Would YOU want to work in a 200 - 400amp panel with your back within 5ft of a pool?
Would you work in a panel with anything within 5 feet? If you don't know how to swim you may see the pool hazard differently than others. If you fall in the pool the panel doesn't follow you into the water. Is it a good idea to locate it farther away - probably, but just where do we set the distance at for a requirement, when out of reach is pretty much what is most important.

You can put as many receptacles as you wish around the pool, you just can't place them closer than 5 feet, and without looking I believe you must have at least one receptacle near the pool - within 10 feet but no less than 5 feet IIRC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...I call it NOW and have been with the 5ft rule, but it just doen't seem right. Would YOU want to work in a 200 - 400amp panel with your back within 5ft of a pool?
I would have no issue working on the service that is 5' from the pool. Why do you think that would be a problem?

OSHA may require me to wear a life jacket to work on it, but I don't see any other safety issues.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If the panel were only 3' from the pool it would still be legal as it would give you the required working clearance.
I don't think so.

I think the op is saying there is nothing directly related to panels in art. 680. IMO, the 680.12 as I stated earlier is as close as you will get. If a disconnect is not allowed-- this may be a panel then certainly a panel would not be allowed in this area within 5' without a barrier

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't think so.

I think the op is saying there is nothing directly related to panels in art. 680. IMO, the 680.12 as I stated earlier is as close as you will get. If a disconnect is not allowed-- this may be a panel then certainly a panel would not be allowed in this area within 5' without a barrier

You are correct, it does not say any thing about panels.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And what about 680.22(c) a panelboard? yes. Switch rated circuit breakers .No
I agree but this really should be spelled out as many EC's have questions about this. It is clear to me that the intent is everything electrically possible should be 5' from the tub. Obviously pool covers and lights cannot be but Those seem to be the exceptions.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
And what about 680.22(c) a panelboard? yes. Switch rated circuit breakers .No

I know that the NEC can be as clear as mud sometimes, but other time it's very specific. You are quoting a section that talks about receptacles, water pumps, luminaires, ceiling fans, light outlets, etc, very specific items. I'm pretty sure that if the code panel meant panelboards, they would have said that and not "switching devices".

I could argue that a window is not a "solid fence, wall or oothre permanent barrier" because you can open it. Silly, of course, far fetched or out of line, I guess that would depend on you way of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.