SENIOR CITIZEN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

This is a off topic kind of question about a guy we work with. He is a long time electrician and he is about 65. He has been with the company a few years and has always and still is a productive worker. Always helped us out. Lately he has been given jobs that should , I feel go to the younger guys. Like like being asked to run rgc and most of the time he is working alone doing this type work. Always given jobs that you need to do from extenion ladders. I have seen him stuggling trying to bend 1" RGC . He is not as quick as some of us either.

I am one that believe we should get the same pay for the same job. Should this be the way or am I wrong ?

Does anyone think he should give it up ?, does anyone think the company is trying to have him quit ? Any opinons?

ceb58

This is a off topic kind of question about a guy we work with. He is a long time electrician and he is about 65. He has been with the company a few years and has always and still is a productive worker. Always helped us out. Lately he has been given jobs that should , I feel go to the younger guys. Like like being asked to run rgc and most of the time he is working alone doing this type work. Always given jobs that you need to do from extenion ladders. I have seen him stuggling trying to bend 1" RGC . He is not as quick as some of us either.

I am one that believe we should get the same pay for the same job. Should this be the way or am I wrong ?

Does anyone think he should give it up ?, does anyone think the company is trying to have him quit ? Any opinons?

Sounds like they want him to quit to keep from fireing him and having to defend age discrimination.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Maybe he can't afford to give it up just yet, or he loves it too much to quit. Either way, it sounds as though someone is quietly asking him to leave. Real shame too, because there is always an opportunity to learn from the older workers.

That being said, I just had a birthday... He doesn't really sound all that old....:p

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
He is not old!!

They may be trying to get him to quit but having him fall off a ladder is not a good way for him to begin retirement or for the company to use workers comp. Time for him to be training new help and the wages need to keep pace with others. To much knowledge and experience to waste so soon.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I don't see how any of us can comment on this. We are not there, we are not even hearing this from the older worker.

I agree, there are always two sides to every story, sometimes 3 or 4 if a women is involved:sick:

Who knows, maybe the guy is purposely trying to get laid off or fired to get unemployment benefits.

fmtjfw

I agree, there are always two sides to every story, sometimes 3 or 4 if a women is involved:sick:

Who knows, maybe the guy is purposely trying to get laid off or fired to get unemployment benefits.

Yea, every time I've wanted to be fired, I've finagled the boss into having me run RMC by myself;)
On the other hand I've always thought ladder work was a free workout without having to pay a gym dues.:p

Speaking as a 65 year old electrician.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
How is he for keeping up with the code? Some of our older Facility electricians seem to be a bit clueless with recent (meaning 12 years or newer) changes in the code. Conversely, some of the basics haven't changed for a long time. They can certainly be valuable with their experience for how to do something, or make it work. But these older guys who keep doing things not to code are annoying -- don't want to put much effort in reading the code book (or maybe they never did and don't really know much but the general rules they were told 30+ years ago).

hawkeye23

To answer some of your questions I don't no how much he knows about the code but he has given us some help when we ask him for electrical advice. Also he does go to the code review class every few years. My personel opinion is he doesn't want to be fired like you say you did at times , the need for money keeps him comming to work from what we see.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Yea, every time I've wanted to be fired, I've finagled the boss into having me run RMC by myself;)
On the other hand I've always thought ladder work was a free workout without having to pay a gym dues.:p

Speaking as a 65 year old electrician.

the way i was taught, was that you pair an older guy with a
younger one.

and you don't give them stuff beyond their abilities. if there
isn't anything they can do, you give them a handshake and
a check, and you don't back them into a corner.

you try and have some sense of dignity in dealing with people.

crew i was on 6 years ago, had a 72 year old man, who did
more than most people on the crew. they paired him with a
23 year old worthless texting idjit, and the old guy was doing
all the work, while the 23 year old spent the whole day on the
phone, typing.

i watched for a couple days, and then the 23 year old and i had
a private chat. the 72 year old kept working, untroubled, and
the 23 year old got transferred.

sdbob

the way i was taught, was that you pair an older guy with a
younger one.

and you don't give them stuff beyond their abilities. if there
isn't anything they can do, you give them a handshake and
a check, and you don't back them into a corner.

you try and have some sense of dignity in dealing with people.

crew i was on 6 years ago, had a 72 year old man, who did
more than most people on the crew. they paired him with a
23 year old worthless texting idjit, and the old guy was doing
all the work, while the 23 year old spent the whole day on the
phone, typing.

i watched for a couple days, and then the 23 year old and i had
a private chat. the 72 year old kept working, untroubled, and
the 23 year old got transferred.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.