Fifteen years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Special ordered a 2 hp fan motor for a good customer. Short version, he decided not to repair the fan. 15 years of storage and we finally found a home for it. I thought for sure that thing was going to be part of.my tombstone. Should I sell it for what new price is or what it was back then?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
New price. You've carried the inventory charge all this time. It isn't about what you bought it for, it's what it's worth now. Plus, I know some states actually charge tax on any inventory you have on hand at the end of the year. If yours is one, you need to cover that as well.

John120/240

Fifteen years ago you could have returned the motor, invested the proceedes, & made what ?

How much has the cost of motor gone up ? Heck you have stored it, charge new price.

You are lucky that you knew where it was at after this long.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We have stuff that has been repaired and waiting to be picked up that has sat around longer than that. We also have some stuff waiting to be repaired even longer.

I would give it to him and throw in the installation free if it is going to a good home. Closure can be its own reward.

kwired

Electron manager
You can charge them whatever you wish, you can even pay them to take it from you if you wish, we live in a free country.

In the antique collectors business things are usually worth more now then they were new:happyyes:

mkgrady

We have stuff that has been repaired and waiting to be picked up that has sat around longer than that. We also have some stuff waiting to be repaired even longer.

I would give it to him and throw in the installation free if it is going to a good home. Closure can be its own reward.

I would do it for free and rewire his whole house for nothing. I'm even thinking I should start paying my customers when I finish their work

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Why would you give something away like that for free, when he's been waiting 15 years to make some money on it?

I'll take my closure with a check, thanks.

rt66electric

Charge extra for the older ones

Charge extra for the older ones

The older ones were built better, extra cost.
I would sell it for the the grainger price.

rt66electric

My brother invest in silver..

My brother invest in silver..

My brother invests in ounces of silver......... I invest in pounds of copper, any time I can buy wire,parts,scrap below the price of scrap , I call it investing.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Why would you give something away like that for free, when he's been waiting 15 years to make some money on it?

I'll take my closure with a check, thanks.

If I was a customer and I found out that you installed a 15 year old piece of equipment that had been sitting in your shop and then charged me the current price. We would be having a serious conversation before I paid that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.