What does NEC 400.7b mean...connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
so this section of the NEC code requires flexible cord to have a connector when it is connected to Mains disconnect box.
Do you know why a connector is needed...strain relief, protection against, cuts/scrapes etc?

If this portion of the code is not met, do we need to retrofit sites that does not have a connector for such wiring? Currently, we have flying leads terminated to terminal blocks, inside the mains disconnect box. I am trying to rationale what safety issue is not met by not having a connector.

thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
hi,
so this section of the NEC code requires flexible cord to have a connector when it is connected to Mains disconnect box.
Do you know why a connector is needed...strain relief, protection against, cuts/scrapes etc?

If this portion of the code is not met, do we need to retrofit sites that does not have a connector for such wiring? Currently, we have flying leads terminated to terminal blocks, inside the mains disconnect box. I am trying to rationale what safety issue is not met by not having a connector.

thanks
I don't see where you are getting the "when it is connected to Mains disconnect box".

400.7(B) only applies to 400.7(A)(3, 6, 8), requiring the cord have a plug. The word connector in the context of the sentence means a female cord cap.

Your installations appear to be hardwired, which would be a violation if 400.7(A)(3, 6, or 8) are applicable. Otherwise, if you do not have cord connectors where they enter the enclosure or lacking any other means to mitigate strain transmitting to terminations, they are likely in violation of 400.10.

400.7b of NEC

400.7b of NEC

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, the code does not mention ?when it is connected to Mains disconnect box".
Our system is hardwired in. Here?s the inspector?s comment ?The installation is in violation of Section 400.7(B) of NFPA 70-2002. An attachment plug is required for flexible cord used in this type of application. Additionally, the PDU must be identified for flexible cord per 422.16.?

I didn?t know what the rationale was, needing to have an attachment plug. Our installation do have mitigations for strain relief, which is why I wasn?t sure what the safety impact is.
I think you answered the question about why an attachment plug is needed.
Thanks for the help.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, the code does not mention ?when it is connected to Mains disconnect box".
Our system is hardwired in. Here?s the inspector?s comment ?The installation is in violation of Section 400.7(B) of NFPA 70-2002. An attachment plug is required for flexible cord used in this type of application. Additionally, the PDU must be identified for flexible cord per 422.16.?

I didn?t know what the rationale was, needing to have an attachment plug. Our installation do have mitigations for strain relief, which is why I wasn?t sure what the safety impact is.
I think you answered the question about why an attachment plug is needed.
Thanks for the help.

WOW. I guess no question from that inspector as why you failed. Better than "it's in the book"! :thumbsup:

it's in the book

it's in the book

hi Mike,
yup, he threw the book at us. Funny thing is, this is the first site that cited us for this wiring methodology.
After talking to our local electricians and researching on the net, it all depends on the inspector and state as to how the code is interpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.