Nail Salon Exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

To remove fumes from a nail salon with a balanced air conditioner, the contractor is thinking that he would just install an "mushroom" type vent with an inline fan(if appropriate) to keep it simple. The other salon he had done was engineered, and although didn't work very well, was designed by an mechanical engineer with an variable speed Upblast fan and 4 return air vents cut into the corners of the T-bar with a high roof. Mall is on Aboriginal land so the City isn't looking over the plans, but the land developer is overseeing building and plumbing... without an engineer is the contractor getting himself into possible trouble? I will check into inline fans approved for exhausting fumes..if there are any.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

1) Try to install heat recovery wheel and excess air moisture absorption pads in the air duct for energy saving.
2) If you exhaust more air than incoming fresh air, partial vacuum would be created and dusty environment inside the salon would result, choking the air filters.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know much about sizing ducts, but I do know two things-
1 - You can't take out more air than can be brought in.
2 - I hate the smell of nail polish! I hate it more than any other odour on the planet.

Actually to achieve a negative pressure or vacuum you must be attempting to take out more than is being brought in:happyyes:

renosteinke

It's not like this is the first time the issue has come up.

I suggest you visit a few operating nail salons and see what they're doing. It's quite possible that the industry has made work tables, etc., with some provision in them to collect the fumes. You'll need this info if you're going to hook it up.

There will also need to be a source for fresh air to enter.

I'd also look at the mechanical code, which has the ventilation requirements. I believe you need to have the ventilation at each station, rather than just a fart fan for the whole place.

Status
Not open for further replies.