Type of lead wrap for holding triplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky1974

Hi, I am looking for something I don"t really know the name of and was wondering if any of you guys may. It is about 5/16 wide and 1/16 thick( just a guess) it feels like lead maybe, it is very easily bent and malleable. You use it when you wrap the neutral around the mast on a service drop. Wrap the messenger ( neutral) around the mast a couple times, leaving a tail, wrap the lead around of this for a few inches, leaves a nice tail to put a parallel groove on.

Sorry I am a very bad explainer. I got a roll quite a while ago from a power guy. The older stuff that Dte used to use is the same material but it is round and a little harder to bend, about 1/8 diameter(maybe a little less). Thanks guys for the help. I may have a small piece left to take a pic of.

fmtjfw

NO, he's looking for a metal strip that wrapped around all the conductors in a triplex to key them from "unravelling". I couldn't find it with a google search. I suspect it is a soft aluminum alloy. Now days here they seem to use standard electrical tape for the same purpose.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hi, I am looking for something I don"t really know the name of and was wondering if any of you guys may. It is about 5/16 wide and 1/16 thick( just a guess) it feels like lead maybe, it is very easily bent and malleable. You use it when you wrap the neutral around the mast on a service drop. Wrap the messenger ( neutral) around the mast a couple times, leaving a tail, wrap the lead around of this for a few inches, leaves a nice tail to put a parallel groove on.

Sorry I am a very bad explainer. I got a roll quite a while ago from a power guy. The older stuff that Dte used to use is the same material but it is round and a little harder to bend, about 1/8 diameter(maybe a little less). Thanks guys for the help. I may have a small piece left to take a pic of.

Armor tape, Ribbon, binder tape, it goes by a couple of different names. comes in a roll about 1000' long
Wedge grips will be much easier..We quit using ribbon a few years ago. It is used around the conductor to keep it from abrading against the spool. Preforms use rubber now.

nhfire77

NO, he's looking for a metal strip that wrapped around all the conductors in a triplex to key them from "unravelling". I couldn't find it with a google search. I suspect it is a soft aluminum alloy. Now days here they seem to use standard electrical tape for the same purpose.

Yep I misunderstood.

Status
Not open for further replies.