Distance between underground Electric & Gas piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWCELECTRIC

I am installing a natural gas generator at a home. Are there distances in the code that require the underground electric conduit feeder from genset to be away from underground gas pipe, or can they be run in the same trench next to each other? Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I am installing a natural gas generator at a home. Are there distances in the code that require the underground electric conduit feeder from genset to be away from underground gas pipe, or can they be run in the same trench next to each other? Thanks

The NEC does not address this.

I have no idea if gas code does or not.

When installing an underground line and encountering a gas line the gas company usually wants me to keep a foot away from their lines. I don't know if that is a code or just a gas company policy.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

JW, while there may not be a code requirement, laying a gas line beside an electric line, especially if the electric line is in conduit, may not be the best idea.

The NESC addresses this in 354A2, although you don't really care about the NESC. It states that radial seperation from gas, steam and other lines that transport flammable material shall be not less than 12 inches.
Think about an accidental dig in. If someone hits the gas line first, then the electric line. Boom...

rt66electric

3 ft from stub-up

3 ft from stub-up

I cannot cite the exact code but I think there is a rule that the meter/breaker panel or a/c disconnect has to be 3 ft apart. from the gas line stub-up.
I think this is a building code, and not a nec code.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
JW, while there may not be a code requirement, laying a gas line beside an electric line, especially if the electric line is in conduit, may not be the best idea.

The NESC addresses this in 354A2, although you don't really care about the NESC. It states that radial seperation from gas, steam and other lines that transport flammable material shall be not less than 12 inches.
Think about an accidental dig in. If someone hits the gas line first, then the electric line. Boom...

That's why the water is the last one in the trench!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I cannot cite the exact code but I think there is a rule that the meter/breaker panel or a/c disconnect has to be 3 ft apart. from the gas line stub-up.
I think this is a building code, and not a nec code.

That is a gas code by the utility not an NEC code

hurk27

Here our utility puts gas and electric all in the same trench, they say they went to this to prevent an explosion if the gas is ever dug in to, if the gas is by itself then you have gas just building up that can explode, but if the electric lines are there then it just catches on fire and burns off.

not sure which is better gas build up or the fire? but I would not want to be on the end of the shovel for either:blink:

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Here our utility puts gas and electric all in the same trench, they say they went to this to prevent an explosion if the gas is ever dug in to, if the gas is by itself then you have gas just building up that can explode, but if the electric lines are there then it just catches on fire and burns off.

not sure which is better gas build up or the fire? but I would not want to be on the end of the shovel for either:blink:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one! :blink:

kwired

Electron manager

If you have large excavation equipment 12 inches is still not enough to prevent this. 36 inch backhoe bucket can get both easily in same stroke in many different circumstances.

As long as the fire it lit immediately you know what you have. If you just have gas lingering around you don't really know where it has migrated to and what will be effected if it is ignited. High pressure gas lines are a bigger problem - but I would still rather have it burning than just releasing gas into the unknown.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If you have large excavation equipment 12 inches is still not enough to prevent this. 36 inch backhoe bucket can get both easily in same stroke in many different circumstances.

As long as the fire it lit immediately you know what you have. If you just have gas lingering around you don't really know where it has migrated to and what will be effected if it is ignited. High pressure gas lines are a bigger problem - but I would still rather have it burning than just releasing gas into the unknown.

You can use Big Muskie if you want but ------

thCARFBJUB.jpg

still need to do this:

3781.25D.JPG

http://www.oups.org/Home/ExcavatorsContractors

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I know all about large excavation equipment. I was citing the NESC on minimums.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
In Califunny, the CPUC has a common ditch standard.

Look for the PG&E Greenbook on line, and in it see "Joint Utility Service Trenches"

BTW, if PG&E tries to tell you they need a 12-18" trench width solely for them, they are lying.

kwired

Electron manager
I have said this before, once you backfill you no longer have a trench.

Separation between two buried objects could be accomplished with two trenches or with a wider trench or with vertical backfill between the two objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.