The sewing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

OK, I'll bite. I think it's a wasted day when I don't learn at least one new thing. This here is your basic RACO model 232, 4 x 4 x 2-1/8.
OK. Different thing. What I have is an ivory coloured, surface mounting box complete with lid and terminals.

Besoeker

OK, so what do you use instead of wire nuts?
Fixed screw type terminals. Units come with them.

I've replaced a few of our light fixtures.
Simplest to describe is the upstairs bathroom fixture I replaced.
The ceiling rose that it is connected to has fixed terminals for live, neutral, switched wire, and earth.
My new light has live, neutral and earth terminals. Stick the appropriate wires in the appropriate terminals. Job done. Not a wire nut in sight.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Protecting Mrs.B

Protecting Mrs.B

I'll make sure it's safe before handing it over to the boss......
Please present the control and wiring diagrams of the machine after you finished. We would like to make sure together for the absence of any sneak circuit or other problems.

Besoeker

Please present the control and wiring diagrams of the machine after you finished. We would like to make sure together for the absence of any sneak circuit or other problems.
It really isn't very complicated.That it was wired incorrectly when I got it was not help.
But I have it susses now, thanks.

ritelec

When I was doing work at a local airport (years ago), wire nuts were not acceptable. You could either mount terminal blocks or use something like these barrel strips. (but I think 600v rated).

kwired

Electron manager
When I was doing work at a local airport (years ago), wire nuts were not acceptable. You could either mount terminal blocks or use something like these barrel strips. (but I think 600v rated).
That or something very similar is probably what Mr B is talking about. Most low amperage European made equipment I have run into uses something like that for supply connections.

Besoeker

That or something very similar is probably what Mr B is talking about. Most low amperage European made equipment I have run into uses something like that for supply connections.
It's what we lovingly call chocolate block because the two rows of evenly spaced terminals somewhat resemble a chocolate bar.
We hardly ever use them other than for temporary connections and we'd be crucified if they were part of any of the industrial or commercial equipment we make.

A few posts back I was responding to what we use instead of wire nuts and I mentioned a ceiling rose.

Here's a picture of a basic light pendant.

Ceilingrose01.jpg

From the top:

Ceiling rose
Flex
Lamp holder
Lamp

The bottom part of the lamp holder below the black bit unscrews to allow a lamp shade to be fitted.
The white part of the ceiling rose is a cover that screws over the connections in the part that actually gets screwed on to the ceiling takes the connections from within it.

The thing that screws to the ceiling:

Ceilingrose02.jpg

And a close up showing the screw terminals and their designation.
Bottom right is the earth (ground) terminal.

Ceilingrose03.jpg

The rectangular hole on the left is where the cable from the ceiling came in.

So, no wire nuts and no chocolate blocks required.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
It's what we lovingly call chocolate block because the two rows of evenly spaced terminals somewhat resemble a chocolate bar.
We hardly ever use them other than for temporary connections and we'd be crucified if they were part of any of the industrial or commercial equipment we make.

A few posts back I was responding to what we use instead of wire nuts and I mentioned a ceiling rose.

Here's a picture of a basic light pendant.

Ceilingrose01.jpg

From the top:

Ceiling rose
Flex
Lamp holder
Lamp

The bottom part of the lamp holder below the black bit unscrews to allow a lamp shade to be fitted.
The white part of the ceiling rose is a cover that screws over the connections in the part that actually gets screwed on to the ceiling takes the connections from within it.

The thing that screws to the ceiling:

Ceilingrose02.jpg

And a close up showing the screw terminals and their designation.
Bottom right is the earth (ground) terminal.

Ceilingrose03.jpg

The rectangular hole on the left is where the cable from the ceiling came in.

So, no wire nuts and no chocolate blocks required.
Well I should have kept quiet, but it is still much more similar to your 'chocolate blocks' than a wire nut is.

Besoeker

Well I should have kept quiet,
Nah. Tell it like you see it. And I had no intention of causing offence.

but it is still much more similar to your 'chocolate blocks' than a wire nut is.
Yes. Agreed.
But there are a couple or three significant differences.
The terminals are fixed in place.
Their purpose is identified
There are cord grips included for strain relief on the outgoing conductors.

Neither wire nuts nor choc block have any of those features.

Status
Not open for further replies.