Direct burial cable sugestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMaster

I am looking to purchase some D.B. cat6 to run from my house to my detached garage.
I am interested in any sugestions as to whose cable would be best and should be completely avoided for this aplication as I really don't want to do this unpaid project more than once.
Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
If you have to dig a trench, I would use PVC conduit with XHHW conductors.

OP is asking about a communication cable and not a power cable.

I would run PVC conduit though, that means someday when some other cable is the new standard you can hopefully pull old out and pull new in and not have to dig up the yard again.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I would run PVC conduit though, that means someday when some other cable is the new standard you can hopefully pull old out and pull new in and not have to dig up the yard again.

I think this makes a lot of sense. It would also allow you to pull a fiber optic cable down thje road if that was necessary without having to do any more digging.

The other thing is even though a cable is rated for DB does not mean it is impervious to the elements, and it may well need to be replaced at some point, even if the technology does not require it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I guess I need to read the posts more carefully.
I would still use conduit and a wet location cable. I have used Belden 7937A for CAT5 applications.

Rampage_Rick

I concur with the reccomendation for conduit. A shovel will go through CAT5E like a spoon through Jello. (personal experience)

Basically all you need is gel-filled cable. The stuff I use is General Cable 5136100 (which is rated for direct burial btw) I've also used a nearly identical cable from Superior, but it's labled as "aerial cable" for whatever reason. (there's no structural support in the cable) The jacket is thicker than regular CAT5E.

The local telco has some really nice double-jacketed CAT5E they've been using for underground drops for the past few years. (I guess they're preparing for FTTC) Inside is gel-filled with a normal thickness jacket, then it's wraped with a foil shield and another thick jacket and a pull cord. I shudder to think how much it costs...

dicklaxt

If you do use PVC conduit,might I suggest way oversized and long radius elbows.I hope its a short run ,,,,,,,,any of the Cat 5 or 6 series cables do not like to be pulled but it can be done as you probably know,,,,,,treat it like a new bride.:)

dick

WIMaster

Mike: yes 1ph 4W with bolted on MCB & 2gr. electrodes at seperate biulding/structure.

There is an existing 1" PVC I intend to use for LV wiring. I will likely need to run a new one in the future for fiber or better.

The shovels I use/hire really would not care if it was PVC or DB. I try not to dig by hand whenever possible.
I really wanted the DB as I think it would prolly last the longest in this wet location.

I certainly agree that conduit is the way to go regardless of my shovels. Also with a hydraulic shovel it is much easier to go deep to stay away from other shovels.

Point on keeping the run short and easy to pull is also well taken.

I very rarely get to do com. stuff anymore or even see our com guys so all input is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.