Listed cable tray clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDavis

Is a beam clamp listed to securely fasten raceway to a cable tray system? If not, does the introduction of a bonding bushing and appropriately sized bond wire make the practice acceptable?

Thank you in advance for your response.

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I am assuming you are asking about bonding the conduit to the tray? Then no a beam clamp is not an approved bonding device. A bushing and jumper would be appropriate.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is a beam clamp listed to securely fasten raceway to a cable tray system?

I don't believe it is specifically listed for that purpose but I think that if you look closely at the manufacturer's instruction it would be an acceptable use of the beam clamp.

If not, does the introduction of a bonding bushing and appropriately sized bond wire make the practice acceptable?

I would suggest the beam clamp is not code acceptable for bonding the raceway to the cable tray, although in reality it probably does a more than adequate job.

dicklaxt

It has been my experience without exception that raceways were never allowed to be supported from tray systems unless the cable within the raceway originated within the tray itself.This was written into client specifications.I might add this was in PetroChemical plants and or facilities. There are side rail clamps for the purpose of attaching conduits to the tray cable that exits from the tray.

Just a past thought that might apply......

dick

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It has been my experience without exception that raceways were never allowed to be supported from tray systems unless the cable within the raceway originated within the tray itself. ...
Seems odd then, seeing that conduit (raceway) in the tray is a permitted wiring method.

dicklaxt

You are right on with those clamps,,,,I wish I had a dollar for every one that was used on my projects over the years. smile

The "yea" or "nay" was most likely dictated by ambient temp differentials because of the difference of thermal expansion of aluminum tray and rigid galvanized conduit,,,tray would move approx trice as much as conduit.

In a controlled indoor atmosphere it probably is acceptable.

Tray supports are max spaced for particular spans and then limited cable loading per those fixed parameters/tray styles.If loading of conduit and wire starts to infringe on the max loading allowed then the tray cannot carry the cable systems it was designed for.That is probably not a problem in most cases but those are the written rules we had to follow.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.