Tamper Resistant Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier 78

This code irks me in that it makes little to no sense in this regard. In my house where I have my kids I have to use them. But in a daycare,nursery,Sunday school class,school their not required? Which place actually has more kids and fewer adults to supervise them:slaphead:

iwire

Staff member
This code irks me in that it makes little to no sense in this regard. In my house where I have my kids I have to use them. But in a daycare,nursery,Sunday school class,school their not required? Which place actually has more kids and fewer adults to supervise them:slaphead:

Somewhat true but this rule has been in the NEC a lot longer.

ARTICLE 517
Health Care Facilities

517.18 General Care Areas.
(C) Pediatric Locations.
Receptacles located within the
rooms, bathrooms, playrooms, activity rooms, and patient care
areas of designated pediatric locations shall be listed tamper
resistant or shall employ a listed tamper-resistant cover.

I will be very surprised if soon enough all locations will require TRs.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
And I believe the Life Safety code (NFPA 101) requires them in daycares. It seems like an odd place for an electrical requirment, but NFPA 101 has a lot of requirements for specific occupancies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Take a look at 406.14 in the 2011 code. Those areas may require TR receptacles.
406.14 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Child Care Facilities. In all child care facilities, all nonlocking-type, 125-volt, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Child Care Facility. A building or structure, or portion thereof, for educational, supervisory, or personal care services for more than four children 7 years old or less.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I wired an elementary school 31 years ago, and the engineer specified tamper resistant receptacles, the next time I saw them was when code started requiring them in dwellings.

billdozier 78

Thanks guys for taking me to school. I did a service call a few weeks back in a daycare mentioned tr to guy I was with. He gave me a goofy look. Good to know I was possibly correct. And yes soon enough it will be all we can instAll I bet. Got to guard against Darwin's theory!

JDB3

I try to use common sense. At a college lab, a student stuck a paper clip into a receptacle (age has nothing to do with common sense). At the building our church relocated to, we replaced a majority of the receptacles with tamper resistant receptacles. Can not constantly watch the children of "ALL" ages!:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.