Material of grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real-life Females
Occupation
Health
When and where we shall use the bare grounding conductor ?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just about everywhere in the code you are permitted to use a bare or insulated grounding conductor. In feeders to pools, Ag buildings, and some pool circuits (pumps, lights) you need an insulated grounding conductor.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Which code reference in particular do you want?

jumper,

for these two:

- it is permitted to use either bare or insulated every where except pool.

- it has to be bare by a wiring method used but not mandated (pool).

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You really need more detail in your question. Which wire do you want to know about -- an equipment ground, a ground electrode conductor, or the Service grounded conductor? The word grounding usually means equipment ground conductor.

Some explicit places for permitting bare: 230.22, 230.30, 230.41, 250.62, 250.118, 250.119.

The prohibitions are scatted throughout the code book, but most are in article 680.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others. If you are looking for exact articles throughout the code then it may be difficult to name them all. What is the specific applicatin you have in mind?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC uses the term insulated equipment grounding conductor in articles, 250, 408, 517, 518, 520, 530, 555, 605, 610, 680 and 682

m sleem

Occupation
Health
thanks for all,

i found in practice projects are using bare conductor(electrodes) and sometimes are using insulated conductor (electrodes).

that was my question.
When and where we shall use the bare grounding conductor (electrodes) ?

WIMaster

Your grounding electrodes such as ground rods, metal underground piping, plates, loops, ufers etc. NEED to be bare.
Correct use of terminoligy is quite important when it comes to the code and can get one in or out of trouble fast.
May or shall?
Driver or ballast?
Grounding or grounded?
Etc. etc.etc.
subtle differences in words can make a big difference in what you SHALL do.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Your grounding electrodes such as ground rods, metal underground piping, plates, loops, ufers etc. NEED to be bare.
Correct use of terminoligy is quite important when it comes to the code and can get one in or out of trouble fast.
May or shall?
Driver or ballast?
Grounding or grounded?
Etc. etc.etc.
subtle differences in words can make a big difference in what you SHALL do.

i agree with you,

i'm trying to do but english language not my native language. sorry for all.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Then describe the wire in question. Is it the wire(s) the goes from the main disconnect panel to a rod/electrode buried in the ground? Is it the wire in a circuit which connects to the grounding pin on a receptacle and also bonds a metal box? Is it the "neutral" conductor of a utility service feeding your main disconnect panel? Is it the wire jumpers connecting a conduit bonding bushing to a ground bar?

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Then describe the wire in question. Is it the wire(s) the goes from the main disconnect panel to a rod/electrode buried in the ground? Is it the wire in a circuit which connects to the grounding pin on a receptacle and also bonds a metal box? Is it the "neutral" conductor of a utility service feeding your main disconnect panel? Is it the wire jumpers connecting a conduit bonding bushing to a ground bar?

Yes, I'm asking about the one is going from panel to ground rod and the one is going from rod to rod.

I saw in existing project that one is insulated. while i was thinking it should be bare reference to code.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Yes, I'm asking about the one is going from panel to ground rod and the one is going from rod to rod.

I saw in existing project that one is insulated. while i was thinking it should be bare reference to code.

Take a look at 250.62 and 250.64

Status
Not open for further replies.