laundry circuit and gas dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecold

I'm a bit confused on weather or not a gas dryer can be fed off the dedicated. 20 amp laundry branch circuit.
"This shall have no other outlets"??

Quote:210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

ceb58

I'm a bit confused on weather or not a gas dryer can be fed off the dedicated. 20 amp laundry branch circuit.
"This shall have no other outlets"??

Quote:210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

As long as it stays in the laundry room. Notice the (s) on the word outlet in 210.11 (C)(2)

stickboy1375

101ecmCBfig2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Part of the problem becomes determining what is the laundry area. A room that houses laundry equipment is generally considered the entire room is the laundry area, but if laundry is in say an unfinished basement - and there is a lot of extra space not really required for laundry purposes it gets more confusing.

I run into what locals call "mud room" a lot. People come inside from working their dirty jobs, into a "mud room". In this room they can undress, shower, put on clean clothes, and leave dirty clothes there as the laundry is also in this area. This room contains the laundry but also meets the definition of a bath. I always treat the laundry "area" as the laundry and the bath "area" as the bath even though they coexist in same room, but it still has other complexities. Is the laundry receptacle(s) required to have GFCI protection because they are in a bathroom? Often there is a sink within 6 feet and it clears that one up because GFCI is needed anyway.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Our job is to provide the receptacle outlets. What the homeowner plugs into the outlets is not covered by the NEC. More to the point, however, is that the NEC does not tell us what types of equipment constitute "laundry equipment." It is generally thought to include the washing machine, but nothing limits us to that alone. You can build a space that contains permanent storage for an ironing board, and have a receptacle nearby, and still treat that as being "laundry equipment." A gas dryer would also count.

Status
Not open for further replies.