residential arc faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes. Exception #1 lets you run from the branch circuit OCPD to the first outlet in EMT without having that portion of the branch circuit AFCI protected, however you have to have AFCI protection for the the first outlet and the remainder of the circuit. This exception was written with the possibility of a feed through AFCI receptacle device.

Hendrix

Yes. Exception #1 lets you run from the branch circuit OCPD to the first outlet in EMT without having that portion of the branch circuit AFCI protected, however you have to have AFCI protection for the the first outlet and the remainder of the circuit. This exception was written with the possibility of a feed through AFCI receptacle device.
Which is moot because they dont exist. Or do they?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am sure that is the first and only time the NEC included a requirement that we install a device that has yet to be invented. :happyyes:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Arc fault protection would still be required as you are not only protecting the wiring method, but the items being plugged in.
I know that an AFCI "receptacle" type device has been manufactured, I believe it has been listed, but, as I understand, it has not be marketed due to lack of demand.

Commentary in the IAEI 2011 Analysis Book relates to the new section of 210.12(B) perhaps encouraging availability of such devices.

Last edited:
I can see protecting receptacles because of what gets pluged in to them but with this wiring system, which is more of a commercial than dwelling method, what's the purpose in protecting lighting circuits

Last edited:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I can see protecting receptacles because of what gets pluged in to them but with this wiring system, which is more of a commercial than dwelling method, what's the purpose in protecting lighting circuits

Light fixtures can develop arc faults just like any other device or piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.