Reducing power consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day; Our circuit board manufacturing facility was contacted by a company by the name of Green Base Energy. They claim they can reduce our power consumption by at least 8-30% by using their Power Optimizer. Using electron cooling technology, which reduces heat by stabilizing electon collisions. Our incoming voltage is 490/290 vac and we are having issues with some of our computer controlled circuit board drilling machinery. Has any one heard of this company or technology? Thanks, Rick

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is a waste of your time and money to even talk to these sorts of companies. They will not save you money, and it will cost you a lot of money to prove that to yourself. Run, do not walk, away from this nonsense.

gar

Occupation
EE
120830-1312 EDT

Snake oil.

Your trouble with the PC drilling machines is a total different subject to discuss. Don't mix your machine problems with saving energy.

You need to provide much more information on the machines, and the nature of the problems.

I suspect that you do not use drip feeding of programs to the machine because these would normally be small programs (likely less than 1 megabyte). Usually the transmission of programs to a machine are at least checked with a parity check, and or a checksum. Almost all transmission errors would be detected.

If this error checking is performed, and the entire program is transferred to the drill machine before starting the program, then you would normally assume that a error free program is in the drill machine memory. Not guaranteed, but high probability.

Then assuming the above, what kind of problems are occurring? For example:
Bad hole position.
Bad depth.
Wrong speed.
Motor start stop problem.
Running into limit switches.
Wrong tool selection.
Machine just stops.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... They claim they can reduce our power consumption by at least 8-30% by using their Power Optimizer. ...

... Run, do not walk, away from this nonsense. ...
No

and

No

Instead, hire me. I can charge you exorbant fees and expenses. Unlike the Power Optimiser I likely can make recomendations that will actually reduce your power consumption. And it will cost you lot less than the Power Optimiser group

Think about it from an ROI. With them the dollars per watt-hour saved is near infinite. With me, you will actually get some energy savings, so the dollars per watt-hour is less than infinite.

Seriously - If you still wish to investigate, hire a power engineer to go with you. Tell the engineer you want 4 - 6 hours, you do not want the stuff shot down before the meeting. You want her to listen, perhaps ask a strategic question or 5 , in a non adversarial manor, and then give you a verbal report - no written report. Should cost around $500 - $1000 (with NO written report).

This way you have some one to call BS when the science and physics require extra-terestrial intervention.

Could easily save you 10s of $k to 100s of $k.

Oh - Warn them you will have your engineer with you and the presentation will be taped. Possibly the presentation will no longer available.

ice

ice

Last edited:

iceworm

Occupation
... they can reduce our power consumption by at least 8-30% by using their Power Optimizer. Using electron cooling technology, which reduces heat by stabilizing electon collisions. ...
I really tried to bite my tongue (or fingers in this case)

If I could stop laughing :rotflmao: I'd be gagging.:sick:

ice

iceworm

Occupation
... Seriously - If you still wish to investigate, hire a power engineer ...
Okay, I'm up off the floor.

As gar said the two issues are not likely interconnected - or only loosely connected. I suspect your first issue is the production problems. That directly affects money coming in.

Then one would look at the ROI for energy savings. That's money going out, but requires an investment.

I would suggest interviewing smaller engineering groups (partners, or even sole engineers) as to a larger ones. Smaller groups - more likely to talk directly to the brains. Larger groups tend to have a lot of mediocre help - and other than the first visit, that's all you get to talk to. (Just My Opinion)

It may take two different engineers. One for the production issues. A different one for the energy savings.

When you get to selecting the the energy savings, a lot of groups tout their many energy saving groups certifications - and they are proud of them.. I've never found that any of these certifications help with what I want done. But I'm not interested in having a Greenie Certified facility. I'm interested in lowering production costs without a crippling investment. It's all about meeting production needs and ROI

ice

mike_kilroy

Our incoming voltage is 490/290 vac and we are having issues with some of our computer controlled circuit board drilling machinery.Rick

So Rick, now that you know about the snake oil, wanna get down to business on your mentioned issue with these particular machines? If so, a lot of us would be interested to hear the issues. Tell us age (vintage) of the machines, if you have other machines and if they too have issues, what other stuff is plugged in at your place? Lots of welding equip? Are you in KS where a weekly major power outage happens and takes out motors and drives? Did these machine USED to work swell for years and now don't? Any other details.....

Energy saving products for industry

Energy saving products for industry

Thanks everyone for the feed back! The main question was to get opinions on the "Green Base Energy" co. and if anyone has dealt with them.They tout doing business with GE, American Express, Danone etc. The second part of the question about our drilling machinery (no welding in facility) has so many variables ex; high voltage, old equipment, poor maintenance Thanks again!

Besoeker

Good Day; Our circuit board manufacturing facility was contacted by a company by the name of Green Base Energy.
Interestingly, or otherwise, Green Base Energy doesn't get any hits that I could find on any of the usual search engines.
Doesn't say a lot for their credentials.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
.... They claim they can reduce our power consumption by at least 8-30% by using their Power Optimizer. Using electron cooling technology, which reduces heat by stabilizing electon collisions. ...
I like the first part of the claim better.
At the core of the Power Optimizer? energy saving device is our patented semiconductor chip. This chip utilizes specific wavelengths of infrared light to stabilize the vibration state of "spinning" electrons. Stabilizing the electrons, which form electric current actually reduces the heat-emitting and power-robbing collisions that normally occur as the electric current moves from the source to the desired load. Reducing these collisions creates a more efficient electric current.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks everyone for the feed back! The main question was to get opinions on the "Green Base Energy" co. and if anyone has dealt with them.They tout doing business with GE, American Express, Danone etc. The second part of the question about our drilling machinery (no welding in facility) has so many variables ex; high voltage, old equipment, poor maintenance Thanks again!
Marketing spin 101:

1. GE is one of the largest companies on the planet including one of the top 5 financial services company, it's virtually impossible to be in business without doing business in one way or another with some GE division. If I bought a GE microwave oven or bought ad time at 2:AM on an NBC owned TV or radio station, I have "done business with GE".
  2. The have an American Express card.
  3. They bought some Danone* yogurt. (* French spelling of what we refer to as Danon here in the US)
Most likely, they had a business lunch of Danon Yogurt purchased with an American Express card that they stored in a GE refrigerator. Satisfies the statement.

I once did an investigation for someone on another of these energy saver scam artist companies based in the UK, they made a claim that they had "received the Queen's Award for technology". It was easy enough to check, they even supplied a link. But if anyone took the time to actually read it, they had a Queen's Award, but it was not for anything related to the energy saver scam product. They were primarily a PC board stuffing company that sub contracted for other manufacturers and the Queen's Award was for not moving their manufacturing off shore.

It's all about the spin baby...

Last edited:

robbietan

Good Day; Our circuit board manufacturing facility was contacted by a company by the name of Green Base Energy. They claim they can reduce our power consumption by at least 8-30% by using their Power Optimizer. Using electron cooling technology, which reduces heat by stabilizing electron collisions. Our incoming voltage is 490/290 vac and we are having issues with some of our computer controlled circuit board drilling machinery. Has any one heard of this company or technology? Thanks, Rick

stabilizing particles that move at the speed of light sounds a lot like Ancient Aliens tech to me.

seriously though

incoming voltage at 490V ? if you have a contract with the utility for 480V, then that is acceptable. on the computer circuit board "issues", I would suggest some surge protection, especially if the power supply board is the one being affected.

kwired

Electron manager
stabilizing particles that move at the speed of light sounds a lot like Ancient Aliens tech to me.

seriously though

incoming voltage at 490V ? if you have a contract with the utility for 480V, then that is acceptable. on the computer circuit board "issues", I would suggest some surge protection, especially if the power supply board is the one being affected.

I was wondering if OP was mistaken or if something is wrong, 490V is not all that alarming (no load is often around 500 in these parts) but if there is 490 phase to phase then the phase to neutral should be about 283 and not 290.

Status
Not open for further replies.