Using NEMA 5-15 terminated cable for power - not as extension cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

galanm

I have a panel that is supplied AC power for ancillary operations through a NEMA 15 male panel mount receptacle. To supply this power one would use essentially an extension cord. The cords in use are purpose built (NEMA 15 M-F) and only run from the wall outlet to the panel. When this ancillary operation is complete, the cord is removed and stored. From what I've seen in the code so far, extension cords are not to be used for a fixed installation but this cord is not being used as an extension cord, it is being used in the same way that an IEC cord would such as a computer. Am I misunderstanding this or is this not an issue?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What the code does not allow (article 400.8) is the use of flexible cord as a substitute for fixed, permanent wiring. Can this panel be hard-wired, and still maintain its listing? I suspect not. I think the only way to operate this equipment is using the cord in the manner you describe. So I think you are in compliance.

But there is room for debate here. Your example of a computer cord is interesting. I have to use a flexible cord, and I have to plug it into the computer's male receptacle and then into the wall. So why is that different from your equipment? There is one difference: the computer is not fixed in position, and I infer that your panel is fixed in position. Does that make enough of a difference to put you in violation of 400.8? Let's see if anyone else has an opinion on that question.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I also think you are fine and will add that since this is a manufactured piece of equipment and if you can have it listed as such it will be out of the confines of the NEC.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.