2 4ton cac units 125' from panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

I'm going to run 4/2 nm.

I'd pull # 2/3 SER AL., just to cover my ass and charge accordingly because the specs were not present. Plus this gives options later on when they need to add something. Win/Win in my book. I bet i come out cheaper than the copper you propose to run.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I'd say #8CU would be more than adequate.

For supplying two units? Remember NM cable is also sized per 60oC ampacity tables.

Depending on just what the nameplates of the units say 6 AWG may work, but could be close to being too small, with 125 feet of length 4 AWG may be a good idea for voltage drop purposes even if 6 is acceptable for ampacity reasons.

I say this without any calculations other than simple ones from memory, but I think is fairly accurate. I know 6AWG @ 60oC is only good for 55 amps, so if MCA of units is over 27.5 amps you need to look pretty carefully before selecting 6 AWG NM cable.

aftershock

For supplying two units? Remember NM cable is also sized per 60oC ampacity tables.

Depending on just what the nameplates of the units say 6 AWG may work, but could be close to being too small, with 125 feet of length 4 AWG may be a good idea for voltage drop purposes even if 6 is acceptable for ampacity reasons.

I say this without any calculations other than simple ones from memory, but I think is fairly accurate. I know 6AWG @ 60oC is only good for 55 amps, so if MCA of units is over 27.5 amps you need to look pretty carefully before selecting 6 AWG NM cable.

that is why I chose #4

aftershock

Reason I brought this up is because of a TC. Same units, older house shorter run, but #6 was used and the units were tripping the 60 amp breaker. Now I am fixing to wire similar but longer run.

Status
Not open for further replies.