luminaire lighting support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
A luminaire under a certain weight (recessed can) doesn't need suplimental support (jack chain) and that the MC cable its self is adequet. What article in the NEC am i thinking of???

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A luminaire under a certain weight (recessed can) doesn't need suplimental support (jack chain) and that the MC cable its self is adequet. What article in the NEC am i thinking of???

I don't know what you are thinking of. MC cable should never be used as support. You will find limitations for support in 314 for boxes and 410 for luminaires.

John120/240

You don't mention what type of structure this is. For wood frame construction just drive the

provided nails home on the 4 legs. (Halo brand) Tighten the 1/4 hex head adjusting screw.

For drop cieling construction, position the leg over the upright part of the grid. A little slit in the

leg fits over the grid. Then secure opposite corners of fixture to the structure with tie wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see anything in 410 for recessed cans specifically but art. 410 part IV is for luminaire support. 410.36 (B) for suspended ceilings. This is the 2011 NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I see but I must admit that I have never added extra support for cans. Sounds like the support should be there but I have never used jack chain for support

(B) Suspended Ceilings. Framing members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securelyfastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical
means such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Listed clips identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.