Fixture tails

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Usually lay-in style 2X2 or 2X4 fluorescent fixtures are ordered tailed and lamped when not being wired with MC or another type of cable.

iwire

Staff member
Living in the land of cable wiring methods I can't say I have ever ordered or installed pre-whipped fixtures other than 'slave' fixtures that a whip is swung into the master.

We do order fixtures lamped, unboxed and sometimes on narrow pallets for retro fit jobs so that we can fit a pallet down a standard hallway or in an elevator.

We also do a lot of 'Re-loc' type systems in large retail (Lowes, Wal-Mart etc.) I don't think it costs less but it does speed up the entire job so in that sense it has larger benefits.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Daisy chain MC from fixture to fixture.
I'm aware of the different wiring methods. The question was in the context of fixtures ordered and delivered with 'tails' pre-installed. Not putting a j-box within tail's reach would not save time when you consider you'd have to uninstall the 'tail' before using a different wiring method, not to mention the time associated with then using that different method.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Living in the land of cable wiring methods I can't say I have ever ordered or installed pre-whipped fixtures other than 'slave' fixtures that a whip is swung into the master.

I too can't recall ever installing pre-whipped fixtures. On occasions where the project did use whips, we'd wire them into the j-boxes during rough-in so they were ready to connect to the fixtures upon placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.