Timer switch or photo sensor switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Is timer switch better for street light application than photo sensor switch, as the latter is more liable to collect dust and malfunction? Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
To what extend does the "time is gets dark" or "the time it gets light" vary from day to day, in your area of the world? In my area, there is a least a four hour difference from mid summer to mid winter, in the time of day that I would want the street lights to turn on. So in this area, a timer would be ineffective at controlling street lights.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
To what extend does the "time is gets dark" or "the time it gets light" vary from day to day, in your area of the world? In my area, there is a least a four hour difference from mid summer to mid winter, in the time of day that I would want the street lights to turn on. So in this area, a timer would be ineffective at controlling street lights.

If you have a power interuption, all the timers would probably need to be reset. Not so with the photo sensor.
Not true of all "timers". Some timers have an astronomic feature (dusk/dawn timing), and some are battery operated or have battery backup.

I have this one:

http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Electronic_Timers/ST01_Series.aspx

It's been keeping accurate time for about two years now on the supplied battery. I'm not using it to control exterior lighting, so I cannot attest to the astronomic performance.

Last edited:

BullsnPyrs

photo cell

photo cell

Photocells are the better choice. They generally fail to the on position which does not leave that section of the street in the dark. When a timer fails you have every streetlight out on every circuit it controls.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Thanks for your replies, guys. But I just wanted to have the confirmation or not whether the dust collection is the problem with the photo sensor switch for street light applications.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for your replies, guys. But I just wanted to have the confirmation or not whether the dust collection is the problem with the photo sensor switch for street light applications.
In most locations no, if near some facility that creates a lot of dust maybe it is worth consideration, but the photo cell in question would need to be pretty close to the source of some pretty extreme dusty conditions I would think.

Besoeker

In most locations no, if near some facility that creates a lot of dust maybe it is worth consideration, but the photo cell in question would need to be pretty close to the source of some pretty extreme dusty conditions I would think.
It gets pretty bad at or near a cement works.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Careful selection of placement of photocell becomes necessary.
I think it is better to do away with photocell by using timer switch in street light application, where dust accumulation can not be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.