pole bases

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

I would like to know any tricks or things you guys use to keep anchor bolts in place when doing pole bases. I have tried varous things but nothing seems to be full-proof to keep them in place and allow the concrete work to be done. if someone had a product that was small like a 3/8 rod and it was on a round collar maybe adjustable for 12,18, or 24 inch bases that allowed you to hold the bolts in any pattern you choose. i dont know maybe im dreaming ...

kbsparky

WE use a small scrap piece of plywood, with holes strategically drilled to match the pole base. Put the nuts on the "L" bolts in a position to keep them raised sufficient for proper mounting.

When the cement hardens, you can simply remove the nuts, and break the plywood off: Voil?!

iwire

Staff member
WE use a small scrap piece of plywood, with holes strategically drilled to match the pole base. Put the nuts on the "L" bolts in a position to keep them raised sufficient for proper mounting.

When the cement hardens, you can simply remove the nuts, and break the plywood off: Voil?!

Exactly, and if you are looking to finish the surface just pull the wood before the cement fully sets.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would like to know any tricks or things you guys use to keep anchor bolts in place when doing pole bases. I have tried varous things but nothing seems to be full-proof to keep them in place and allow the concrete work to be done. if someone had a product that was small like a 3/8 rod and it was on a round collar maybe adjustable for 12,18, or 24 inch bases that allowed you to hold the bolts in any pattern you choose. i dont know maybe im dreaming ...
Are you floating them in or setting them first?
I use a couple of parallel 2X4's, with two 1X2's (stakes)screwed perpendicular. this way the float can get to all but what is under the 1X2's. Remove the entire assembly when the bolts are secure and the top of the concrete is still workable. I have a few forms made up that will work for several different patterns. Once I have the pattern and the projection, I can get the correct form.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Exactly, and if you are looking to finish the surface just pull the wood before the cement fully sets.

I'm with you guys. As for the finish, as long as the template is not much bigger than the base I don't worry much about it. I typically get it pretty close, stab the template in, work the bolts, then stop the nuts an inch above the concrete, then kinda sneak a trowel in to clean it up a bit.

I don't tend to take the template off until I set the pole, to make sure nothing changes. Bad luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.