old romex rated at 60 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
The romex installed before 1984, I believe, was rated at 60 degrees. Was there a typical color sheath that was used?
Besides obviously reading the sheath for the tell tail NM-B marking, what did it look like?

For instance I have come across an older romex with a blue sheath?

What hazards does it pose compared to the B rated at 90 degrees?
If the customer was paying and you came across it during construction, would you rip it out and install new stuff?

kwired

Electron manager
The romex installed before 1984, I believe, was rated at 60 degrees. Was there a typical color sheath that was used?
Besides obviously reading the sheath for the tell tail NM-B marking, what did it look like?

For instance I have come across an older romex with a blue sheath?

What hazards does it pose compared to the B rated at 90 degrees?
If the customer was paying and you came across it during construction, would you rip it out and install new stuff?

The biggest problem with it is you will not find many luminaires that don't require connection to 90 degree supply conductors any more. Most everything else is just fine if it is existing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There was no color scheme. I have seen the old nm cable in white, blue and black. It just depends on the manufacturer at that time.

As stated by kwire, the only problem with the old nm is when it is installed in luminaires. I would not rip it out unnecessarily except where it connects to the lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.