Something to fix or not, oil based paint + electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
AFAIK, it is in the correct orientation. In fact the panel can be mounted either side up or down. Obviously the orientation of the breakers must be kept in mind.

Great home panel upside down, insulation upside down, is the duplex GFCI protected? :lol:

Maybe I could do inspections via the internet. Bet i could do two or three at the same time.

FAIL, FAIL, FAIL :p

mlnk

Our local AHJ limit is 2 cables per staple. San Francisco AHJ: one cable per staple...one cable per knock-out... one cable per drilled hole. I think the nylon ties create bundling-cut them off. Ditto for nylon ties inside panels. NM wiring is not supposed to look 'neat' it should have some slack, where it bends it should have sweeping curves, it should be separated from other cables. Concentrate on making wiring Code legal--not beautiful!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Our local AHJ limit is 2 cables per staple. San Francisco AHJ: one cable per staple...one cable per knock-out... one cable per drilled hole. I think the nylon ties create bundling-cut them off. Ditto for nylon ties inside panels. NM wiring is not supposed to look 'neat' it should have some slack, where it bends it should have sweeping curves, it should be separated from other cables. Concentrate on making wiring Code legal--not beautiful!

In my earlier years in business I worked in San Francisco once and "they are tough" compare to the other bay area cities.

kwired

Electron manager
every panel?

Well only the ones worth using:p

And how are you attaching/securing the panel? The "bumps" are part of the panel.

And since you 'know' this to be true would you please show the inspector this?
Just about all type 3R enclosures have the "bumps", or mounting feet that space the equipment from the mounting surface. What you suspect the reasoning is for them to provide this, when they probably could save a little in production costs by not doing that?

Why does everyone think masnory walls are wet or damp locations? Some are. But not all are. Does a piece of plywood whether painted or treated change that? The moisture is still there, if the wall is continuously wet the plywood eventually soaks up enough conditions will be worse than mounting the equipment directly to the masonry wall.

I usually only mount panels on wood like that if the masonry wall is in poor enough condition that it will be difficult to successfully attach the panel or if the surface is so uneven that it will be difficult to successfully attach the panel.

If the masonry is excessively damp the panel is not attaching to it and neither is any absorbant backing.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just about all type 3R enclosures have the "bumps", or mounting feet that space the equipment from
the mounting surface. What you suspect the reasoning is for them to provide this, when they probably
could save a little in production costs by not doing that?

the purpose is to provide an air gap, so that water wicking behind the panel
will be able to evaporate. the way i usually do it is to silicone the top and sides
of the panel, leaving the bottom uncaulked so any moisture can drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.