Emergency egress lighting required for bleachers? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to further the discussion that jcbabb started the other day in reference to emergency lighting. Here's the situation. D. Frances of the Oklahoma States Fire Marshall Office has determined that Section 1006.3 of the IBC applies to exterior bleachers. Section 1006.3 requires emergency egress lighting for spaces with 2 or more exit pathways. So per the code, if you have an Occupancy in Group A (Group A-5 for instance would include recreational seating, stadiums, etc) with 50 or more persons you are going to be required to have 2 or more exit pathways. Therefore, any bleacher with a seating capacity of over 50 people will require 2 or more exits and emergency lighting. The bottom line- this will apply to a 4 row high 20 foot long bleacher and larger. This interpretation is brand new to us. Has anybody out there dealt with this scenario?

fmtjfw

We're starting to install emergency lighting in the short tunnels from the stands to the sidewalks outside the stadium. The tunnels are 20 to 30 feet long and have some lighting fixtures in them now. I brought up exit lighting for the bleachers to my buddy and he's going to discuss it with other fire marshals. The night game field lighting is HID and so even a momentary outage can cause up to 10 minutes of little or no lighting for the field and the stands.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would like to further the discussion that jcbabb started the other day in reference to emergency lighting. Here's the situation. D. Frances of the Oklahoma States Fire Marshall Office has determined that Section 1006.3 of the IBC applies to exterior bleachers. Section 1006.3 requires emergency egress lighting for spaces with 2 or more exit pathways. So per the code, if you have an Occupancy in Group A (Group A-5 for instance would include recreational seating, stadiums, etc) with 50 or more persons you are going to be required to have 2 or more exit pathways. Therefore, any bleacher with a seating capacity of over 50 people will require 2 or more exits and emergency lighting. The bottom line- this will apply to a 4 row high 20 foot long bleacher and larger. This interpretation is brand new to us. Has anybody out there dealt with this scenario?

it actually sounds like a good idea to me. a bunch of people stumbling around in the dark on a typical bleacher is likely to lead to some damaged people. whether it is an appropriate interpretation or not is something else.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
it actually sounds like a good idea to me. a bunch of people stumbling around in the dark on a typical bleacher is likely to lead to some damaged people.

I have to agree with that.

However, I also feel that at some point a bench in the middle of a field is just that - a bench in the middle of a field. Nothing more.

In other words, if there is no stadium, no enclosed structure, nothing like that, then I don't think you have an occupancy to start with, and egress lighting shouldn't be required. Picture a simple metal frame with a few wooden planks for seats. Not really much of a fire hazard.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would just like to clarify the requirement. It's not for spaces with two or more exit's, it's for spaces with two or more "required" exits.

Emergency egress lighting required for bleachers?

Emergency egress lighting required for bleachers?

We're starting to install emergency lighting in the short tunnels from the stands to the sidewalks outside the stadium. The tunnels are 20 to 30 feet long and have some lighting fixtures in them now. I brought up exit lighting for the bleachers to my buddy and he's going to discuss it with other fire marshals. The night game field lighting is HID and so even a momentary outage can cause up to 10 minutes of little or no lighting for the field and the stands.

I was just wondering if you got any feed back from your buddy who was going to discuss this requirement with other fire marshals?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

I believe your fire marshal is misinterpreting what that code section states.

Bleachers and Grandstands are not covered by IBC, they are governed by ICC 300

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe your fire marshal is misinterpreting what that code section states.

Bleachers and Grandstands are not covered by IBC, they are governed by ICC 300

Cool - I didn't know they had a different code for that. From the Table of contents, it looks like its a nice short book, around 15 to 20 pages long:

http://www.iccsafe.org/Store/Pages/Product.aspx?id=9181X07

Does anyone have a copy or know what it says about em lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.