Tamper Resistant Receps - above counter top

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

Why are you even worrying about it. I don't even stock non TR anymore but technically you are probably correct.

Because I am in inspector - and believe the above installation [no TR receptacle in the cabinet above the counter] is compliant; thus no correction notice to change. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Because I am in inspector - and believe the above installation [no TR receptacle in the cabinet above the counter] is compliant; thus no correction notice to change. Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something.

dana, 2011 406.12 Tamper Resistant Receptacles for Dwelling Units. A "non" Tamper resistant outlet in a closet or cabinet unless it is 5 and 1/2 feet above the floor would be non compliant.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:

1. Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor. 70-273
  2. Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
  3. A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7). or (A)(8).
  4. Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

jumper

dana, 2011 406.12 Tamper Resistant Receptacles for Dwelling Units. A "non" Tamper resistant outlet in a closet or cabinet unless it is 5 and 1/2 feet above the floor would be non compliant.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:

1. Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor. 70-273
  2. Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
  3. A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7). or (A)(8).
  4. Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

But 210.52 says that receptacles in a cabinet are not covered in this section.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards.............

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
But 210.52 says that receptacles in a cabinet are not covered in this section.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards.............

That is correct I could not edit, in the cabinet or above 5 and 1/2 not required but is not listed under 406.12

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sorry didn't read the whole thread, so if this was already answered I apologize. In the 2008 code there are no exceptions. If you are under the 2011 then you get the exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.