AFCI tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

:? Square D Homeline 42 circuit panel. 2 AFCI tripped. With one, I found the entry fixture would trip the AFCI. Took the bulbs out, did not trip. Took the fixture down & found continuity between neutral & ground. Put up pig-tail socket and that circuit if fine!

2nd circuit. Lights, fans, & one receptacle. The 2 patio fans with light kits on dimmer & speed control work fine as does the duplex receptacle. Dinning fixture on 3-way switching causes the AFCI to trip. Take out bulbs, doesn't trip. Take fixture down and put up my trusty pigtail socket -works fine UNTIL I put light bulb in, then it trips. (so much for my trusty pigtail socket). Ring the wires to the fixture (12/3 w/g wired for future fan) all the wires ring clear. Fixture rings clear. Did not have much hair to start with, but have less now.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
On problem #2, check and see if a neutral is swapped feeding the light, (neutral from another circuit) if it is, it will not show up until the fixture is turned on, as you have found out.

JDB3

There is only one circuit involved in this case. A dimmer was involved, however I tried the other wire (wired for future fan, so I ran a 12/3 w/g) that was connected to single pole switch, that still tripped the AFCI. Keep suggestions comming, please Thanks

JDB3

The 2 patio fans / light kits are the first openings on the circuit. They are controlled by a dimmer & speed control. All of this works fine. The receptacle is next on the circuit, I have not put a load on it. The wiring is all of romex.

JDB3,

You may want to try loading the receptacle and also check the receptacle box and connections carefully. I had a receptacle once that was causing the fault. Took it out remade the connections. Tucked the wires in the box a bit differently and the fault stopped. Putting a load on the receptacle will help you to isolate better where the issue is coming from.

If the 2 patio fans/lights are on the circuit before the fan in question and they work then it is likely between them and the problem fan. I have had helpers put the staple a bit too tight on Romex and the pressure from it caused the Arc Fault. Also there is the possibility of the Romex having too tight of a bend in it which can also cause a fault.

JDB3

Thanks one and all. I will check the receptacle wiring, because the circuit was tripping after the receptacle, I did not mess with it.
I had a house years ago, that everything was working fine. After two weeks AFCI started tripping (when a light was turned on). People had not moved in yet. Took apart various switches & receptacles, put it back together same way, everything worked fine.
Thanks again.

JDB3

FOUND IT ! Had a 10 foot piece of romex in the (now insulated attic) that was reading neutral to ground. Wiggle it & the wire was good. Wiggle it again & short from neutral to ground!!!!!!!!!! :?:? :?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I've had insulators shoot a staple through the cable, shorting neutral to ground causing the Arc Fault to not set. (I didn't wire it, the homeowner did, wire was too close to the edge of the stud anyway) He was ready to start ripping out sheetrock, put my tracer and a battery on it, cut a hole 2" square right at the spot in the middle of the wall!

Status
Not open for further replies.