Threaded nipple between two panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticko

I have always been under the assumption that using a two inch threaded nipple between two panels was not prohibited. The nipple is 3 to 3 1/2 inches long and there is aout 1 1/2 inches of exposed thread between panels. The panels are installed in an indoor electric room without heat but cooled. I don't think there is a problem with rust or corrosion, more of a bonding issue. What do all of you think?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have always been under the assumption that using a two inch threaded nipple between two panels was not prohibited. The nipple is 3 to 3 1/2 inches long and there is aout 1 1/2 inches of exposed thread between panels. The panels are installed in an indoor electric room without heat but cooled. I don't think there is a problem with rust or corrosion, more of a bonding issue. What do all of you think?

It seems like it would be OK if you had double locknuts on each panel. But I'm curious what the electricians have to say about it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There is nothing that prohibits using a threaded nipple between two panels. That's what they're for. :cool:

In many cases, depending on what you have running through it, you will need to bond it with bonding bushings or the equivalent.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it a short nipple with threads only on the ends or a running thread (all thread)? Either one is permitted between two panels as you've described.

Status
Not open for further replies.