72 Pole Panel with a main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a design with a 120/208V, 3PH, 4W, 72-pole, 225A panelboard with a 225A main breaker on the secondary side of a 75KVA transformer. A question has come up regarding the maximum number of poles allowed in this panel on the basis of Article 408.36 (Exception 2), limiting this panel to 42-poles because of the 3-pole main breaker. I do not think this applies at all. I believe they are just misinterpreting the definition of 2 or 3 pole breakers counting as 2 or 3 overcurrent devices.

I appreciate all comments.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me the exception applies to panel such as the older "split buss" type and what you have is Code compliant.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a design with a 120/208V, 3PH, 4W, 72-pole, 225A panelboard with a 225A main breaker on the secondary side of a 75KVA transformer. A question has come up regarding the maximum number of poles allowed in this panel on the basis of Article 408.36 (Exception 2), limiting this panel to 42-poles because of the 3-pole main breaker. I do not think this applies at all. I believe they are just misinterpreting the definition of 2 or 3 pole breakers counting as 2 or 3 overcurrent devices.

I appreciate all comments.

I think each individual OC device counts. a 3 pole is 3 OC devices.

In any case, the article cited does not limit the number of OC devices in a PB, it only allows some fudging on the PB OCPD if you have 42 or fewer OC devices.

dicklaxt

Is it within code to have a 3-pole main on a 72-pole panelboard? I think so, or why remove the 42-pole limit at all.

That makes sense to me ,if the 42 circuit limitation has been removed then Exception 2 doesn't apply or maybe it should have been removed too.

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.