Where to measure 25 OHMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Mike how are you testing? Do you want to use the water pipe as one of the three points of the testing parameters?

If he wants to see if the water pipe has less than 25 ohms earth resistance, the pipe must be disconnected from the service.

I have a very good underground water pipe system. 30 feet of pipe to the garage and at least a 30 foot deep metal well pipe.

I get 'less than 0' ohms when tested with the pipe connected to the service. That's because there is actually a small amount of voltage on the pipe when it is connected to the service. (1.6 to 1.9 VAC) This is common. Up to 3 volts is considered safe. The voltage is there due to the parallel path that exists when connected to the service neutral which is also grounded at the transformer pole.

It's interesting to note that the voltage is the same an inch from the pipe as it is 35 feet from it.

Rod to rod, no AC mains connection, shows no voltage, regardless of distances (up to the 50 feet I measured).

Mike, Google 'fall of potential'. Some reading up on that will help you understand what you are trying to measure.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I really see no reason to measure and verify 25 ohms since it isn't a requirement. supply the one, and the supplemental (if required) and be done with it.
I also agree with K8MHZ about the clamp on. We have them, and the guys think we check resistance of the earth. All we are checking is resistance in ground loops with these.
Resistance of the earth and resistance of rods in earth are two different things. Fall of potential for one, clamp on for the other.

Here is a pretty good link for anyone interested.
http://www.rainbirdservicescorporat...rstanding Earth Ground Resistance by AEMC.pdf

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I really see no reason to measure and verify 25 ohms since it isn't a requirement. supply the one, and the supplemental (if required) and be done with it.
I also agree with K8MHZ about the clamp on. We have them, and the guys think we check resistance of the earth. All we are checking is resistance in ground loops with these.
Resistance of the earth and resistance of rods in earth are two different things. Fall of potential for one, clamp on for the other.

Here is a pretty good link for anyone interested.
http://www.rainbirdservicescorporat...rstanding Earth Ground Resistance by AEMC.pdf

Intriguing.

Induce a voltage at 2.4 kHz and filter out the 60 Hz voltages then measure the current to extrapolate the resistance.

Kind of cool, but I wonder how it compares (in readings) to FOP tests.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Intriguing.

Induce a voltage at 2.4 kHz and filter out the 60 Hz voltages then measure the current to extrapolate the resistance.

Kind of cool, but I wonder how it compares (in readings) to FOP tests.

Quite honestly, I haven't thought about doing a FOP test and comparing the two...

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you carefully read 250.53(A) you will see that they are talking about rod, pipe, and plate electrodes as the only electrode present, now we need a supplemental electrode unless.

Only if you have a rod, pipe, or plate and have no other supplemental electrodes, do you need to prove the 25 ohm limit.

When single rods, pipes, or plates are combined with other grounding electrodes, no ohm measurements are needed or required.

At least this is the way I read 250.53 as a whole.

Where in that section does it mention the rod, pipe or plate electrode as the only electrode? One other note, the pipe mentioned in this section is not the water pipe.

T

taylorp

Where in that section does it mention the rod, pipe or plate electrode as the only electrode? One other note, the pipe mentioned in this section is not the water pipe.

250.53(A)(2). "A single rod, pipe, or plate ....

And yes, I know what kind of pipe 250.53(A) is talking about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Good question since I have not the proper tools to do so.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=88785

Now back to 'my' question. Where must the 25 ohm reading be taken?

With a 3 point test you usually have two earth rods pushed into the ground separated by a large distance then you connect to the electrode you want to measure. Of course the electrode cannot be connected to the system.

06-3-point-test-2.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
250.53(A)(2). "A single rod, pipe, or plate ....

And yes, I know what kind of pipe 250.53(A) is talking about.

That means a single electrode of that type not the only electrode. In order for a ground rod to qualify as an electrode it would need supplementation or it has to meet the exception of 25 ohms or less even if there was a water pipe electrode.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Quite honestly, I haven't thought about doing a FOP test and comparing the two...

Mike Holt did. He videoed a comparison between Ohm's Law using an ammeter on an energized ground rod, a three point FOP and a clamp. They were comparable. In fact, IIRC the clamp was surprisingly accurate.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
With a 3 point test you usually have two earth rods pushed into the ground separated by a large distance then you connect to the electrode you want to measure. Of course the electrode cannot be connected to the system.

06-3-point-test-2.jpg

So the rod is not part of the 'system' until it measures 25 ohms or is supplemented by a 2nd:

(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A single rod, pipe,
or plate electrode shall be supplemented by an additional
electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through
(A)(8).

brian john

Mike Holt did. He videoed a comparison between Ohm's Law using an ammeter on an energized ground rod, a three point FOP and a clamp. They were comparable. In fact, IIRC the clamp was surprisingly accurate.

When performed properly about 90% of the test reports completed by "other firms" that I have seen the test was not properly performed.

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
For a clamp on tester the clamp is measuring the "loop" through the earth so in effect is giving you the resistance of the loop which would be the total for two earth grounding points. In other words you have to have more than one grounding electrode for it to work. Your basic house service will be grounded by utility at the transformer and then again at the service by the Contractor providing you with two points. As for earth testing there are several methods the threee point being one of the simplest. Here is a really good document on the subject:

www.biddlemegger.com/biddle-ug/GettingDownToEarth-MC.pdf

Gives a good overall view and page 48-49 gives a quick explanation of clamp-on testers.

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Also for the 25 ohm value.... I know that it has to do with step voltage and think I remember reading somewhere that value would limit the ground station to a rise of no more than 5000V. I will see if I can find the reference (IEEE I think). And the IEEE and NETA Standards for Industrial locations in 5 ohms and the value for substations in 1 ohm. These again are to limit step potentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.