multifamily help; conductors from one apt passing through another

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i'm bidding a multi-family building.

i seem to think i read something about conductors from one apt not being allowed to pass through another unless its in conduit; is that correct?

the situation is there is a pad at the end of each building that has all the condensing units. 10/2NM is specified.

thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Might not be the best design practice but I know of no such prohibition or the need for conduit in the NEC.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I'd guess you are thinking of 210.25(A) which says branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads in that dwelling unit or associated with that dwelling unit.

The solution would be to make the condensing unit supplies feeder circuits rather than branch circuits by putting an OCPD at the unit.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd guess you are thinking of 210.25(A) which says branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads in that dwelling unit or associated with that dwelling unit.

The solution would be to make the condensing unit supplies feeder circuits rather than branch circuits by putting an OCPD at the unit.

We also need to know what is considered "in the dwelling". Is a raceway or cable in an attic, crawlspace, mechanical chase considered in the dwelling? If something is encased in 2" of concrete it is generally not even considered inside the building in most cases.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Not an NEC thing, but I have seen local codes prohibit the practice or at least dictate how and where it is done. I have been involved with MDU and commercial condos where this became a problem at later dates with remodeling.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Thanks for the responses. The architect is showing the ocpd in the panel of the unit it supplies. The NM would be routed through attic and above hard ceilings.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
How else are you suppose to feed the other units if the service is on one end and the units are next to each other? Your feeders HAVE to go through one unit to get to the next.

As suggested by David, you can't share branch circuits between the units.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
How else are you suppose to feed the other units if the service is on one end and the units are next to each other? Your feeders HAVE to go through one unit to get to the next.

As suggested by David, you can't share branch circuits between the units.

the question was whether it had to be in conduit.

thanks for the valuable insight.

kwired

Electron manager
the question was whether it had to be in conduit.

thanks for the valuable insight.

I don't think it makes one bit of difference if it is in raceway or cable, but as I posted earlier I question whether or not it is considered "in the apartment" if passing through an attic, crawlspace, or other area. The feeders to each occupancy often pass through those areas but they are not branch circuits and maybe that is a way around the mentioned 210.25(A). What about a branch circuit from one occupancy passing over/under but not through another to get to an outdoor AC unit?

John120/240

i'm bidding a multi-family building.

i seem to think i read something about conductors from one apt not being allowed to pass through another unless its in conduit; is that correct?

the situation is there is a pad at the end of each building that has all the condensing units. 10/2NM is specified.

thanks

Here the local rules state that if these are rental units; it is ok to pass through your neighbors

unit with your wires.

Four plexes we wired each unit was for sale indivually. 3 common walls between each unit attic

to basement. 4 indivual electric meters underground. two inside units water, gas, cable, phone

had to enter either the front or rear exposure. Two outside units had 3 options for utility

service entrances

Status
Not open for further replies.