Federal construction contracts- license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Does anyone know if you need a Contractors License in the state for which the work is in.

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone know if you need a Contractors License in the state for which the work is in.

My guess is it would depend on if the work is within the State or other local AHJ jurisdiction, if it is then answer is yes. Kind of like here in NE, there is State AHJ and some city or county AHJ, but any State owned property, as well as public schools are still under State AHJ even if they are inside a city or county boundary.

There are Federal government offices around, some are leased and not federally owned, since they are not federally owned - they have no exemptions from local AHJ rules. I have done work in US postal service buildings before and have pulled state permits for them - never was told that that was wrong thing to do so not quite sure about that one.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Been a while for me doing federal work, but it used to be that if it was work on federal property they did not care what your home license was as long as you had one from somewhere. If it is private property that is being leased to the feds, then you need the appropriate local license with the AHJ.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Been a while for me doing federal work, but it used to be that if it was work on federal property they did not care what your home license was as long as you had one from somewhere. If it is private property that is being leased to the feds, then you need the appropriate local license with the AHJ.
I assume that means if on federal property that you are also exempt from local AHJ permits and inspections? If not that contradicts the rules of the state AHJ we have here - you must have a State contractors license to file permits, and the contractor pulling the permit must be the one (or the one responsible for) the work.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I assume that means if on federal property that you are also exempt from local AHJ permits and inspections? If not that contradicts the rules of the state AHJ we have here - you must have a State contractors license to file permits, and the contractor pulling the permit must be the one (or the one responsible for) the work.

Back when I did Federal work on federal real property, the AHJ had no say at all and there were no permits. You answered to a federal inspector, typically on the job full time. Sometimes it kind of made you miss the local or state AHJ.:D I've had some real tough ones.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i bid on changing out electronic locks in federal prisons...
you didn't need ANY license for the work, but it helped
if you were a transgendered minority female with a handicap, i believe.

one customer i did work for was FPC Boron. no license of any kind
required. i wired and maintained an elevator. interesting place in the
80's... some of the abscam politicians did their time there, and they
had two stockbrokers maintaining the portfolio that the prison industries
were investing profits in.

Status
Not open for further replies.