Ambulatory Health Care Facilities without Critical Care Areas or Life Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengal78

What requirements, electrically, are there above a normal research building with labs and offices for Ambulatory Health Care Facilities without Critical Care Areas or electrical life support?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Article 517 would apply to a health care facility. There are special wiring method requirements as well as grounding and possible device requirements.

Chris

Bengal78

Essential System Requirements?

Essential System Requirements?

I did see the requirements set forth in Article 517 Part II which the NEC Handbook refers you to as applicable for ambulatory care as well as 517.45. 517.45 talks about electrical life support equipment and critical care areas which we won't have in our building. (D) begins to talk about Power Systems though and refers to battery systems installed in accordance with Article 700 and generator systems as described in 517.30 through 517.35. I assum since we won't have electrical life support equipment or critical care areas that I am not required to have separate life saftety, critical, and equipment branches for my ambulatory care floors. FYI: my ambulatory care floors would require more than 150 kVA if I were required to have the separate branches.

raider1

Staff member
The requirements in Part III Essential Electrical System, only applies to health care faculties that are required to have an essential electrical system for life safety.

The requirements in Part I and II apply to all health care facilities.

Chris

Bengal78

The requirements in Part III Essential Electrical System, only applies to health care faculties that are required to have an essential electrical system for life safety.

The requirements in Part I and II apply to all health care facilities.

Chris

So I guess my question is then, when are Ambulatory Health Care Occupancies required to have an essential electrical system? When they have "critical care areas" and/or "electrical life support equipment"?

raider1

Staff member
Consult with NFPA99 Standard for Health Care Facilities, for information on the need for an essential electrical system or check with you local AHJ.

Chris

Bengal78

So I guess my question is then, when are Ambulatory Health Care Occupancies required to have an essential electrical system? When they have "critical care areas" and/or "electrical life support equipment"?

They could potentially have anesthetizing locations though and if I'm correct, we would be required to put that location on critical power due to the requirements in 517 Part IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.