Reidential fire rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissa

Hello everyone, I failed a final inspection and one of the issues was fire rings on a combustable surface for receptacles, switches and lights. the code is 314.20. I installed the boxes before the homeowner decided to add cedar shakes to the walls on the deck and front porch. This set my boxes in about 1/4 in recessed. do I just need plastic box extenders? Is there such a creature as a fire ring for plastic boxes?Or, do I add a fire retardant foam barrier that fits behind the plate, or fixture? Where the electrical panel is located, the home owner put paneling which recessed the panel. Instead of using longer screws they cut around the panel door to recess it as well. will i need to move the panel out to be flush with the paneling? Thanks in advance for your help.

Melissa Slate

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Jumper,

Box extenders for the device boxes and move the panel until the box is flush would be acceptable.

Chris

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
agree with the needing to add the plastic box extenders , but why would you need to bring the panel flush with the face of the finnish.
the OP states that the wood was cut around the panel and the metal cover of the panel should seal tight.

It is my understanding the reasoning for a device to be flush is so the wood cannot catch fire. Plus i don't think a baneboard would fit the definition intention of a box.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
agree with the needing to add the plastic box extenders , but why would you need to bring the panel flush with the face of the finnish.
the OP states that the wood was cut around the panel and the metal cover of the panel should seal tight.

It is my understanding the reasoning for a device to be flush is so the wood cannot catch fire. Plus i don't think a baneboard would fit the definition intention of a box.

312.3 Position in Wall. In walls of concrete, tile, or other noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (? in.). In walls constructed of wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
312.3 Position in Wall. In walls of concrete, tile, or other noncombustible material, cabinets shall be installed so that the front edge of the cabinet is not set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (? in.). In walls constructed of wood or other combustible material, cabinets shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

I would agree and disagree, if the cabinet is set back, but the siding is cut so that the cover sit's flush on the cabinet (no gap between cover and cabinet), I would have no problem with that. It wouldn't be any different than when they install cabinets and cut out the hole so that the cover can go flush against the wall, instead of bringing the receptacle out to the front of the wood.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I would agree and disagree, if the cabinet is set back, but the siding is cut so that the cover sit's flush on the cabinet (no gap between cover and cabinet), I would have no problem with that. It wouldn't be any different than when they install cabinets and cut out the hole so that the cover can go flush against the wall, instead of bringing the receptacle out to the front of the wood.

I would also agree, the reason I posted 312.3 and qouted Sierrasparky was to clarify to others that might be reading the post, was to show that 314.20 and Sierrasparky references boxes, and 313.3 even though the verbiage is the same it is referencing the panelboard.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would also agree, the reason I posted 312.3 and qouted Sierrasparky was to clarify to others that might be reading the post, was to show that 314.20 and Sierrasparky references boxes, and 313.3 even though the verbiage is the same it is referencing the panelboard.

Got it.
I don't think we have a 313 in my code book

Status
Not open for further replies.