Interesting rumor I heard today

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

So what?

That's a difference between a 'fact' and a 'factoid.' A factoid might be true, but has no relevance to anything.

No, if somone has information of what changes might come about as a result, please let us all know. Otherwise, whay should I care if the chairman has a new boss?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
So what?

That's a difference between a 'fact' and a 'factoid.' A factoid might be true, but has no relevance to anything.

No, if somone has information of what changes might come about as a result, please let us all know. Otherwise, whay should I care if the chairman has a new boss?

Maybe the OP figured if someone cared so little about the thread he made, they'd refrain from posting in it, if they'd didn't figure it was relevant to them?

templdl

I think it's a great move on Eaton's part. This whole thing started out with westinghouse back in the '90s when (w) started selling off there divisions. The small motor div. sold, the gears and gear motors sold then the Mediun (NEMA FRAME) motor div was sold, the Large motor div was sold off, the capacitor div sold, all of the gear above 35kv was sold, the meters were sold to weschler, the protective relays sold, the liquid and dry type power transformer sold to ABB.
What ever was left in 1995 was sold to Eaton fo $1.2B and conbined with its $.5B C-H div making C-H 2/3(w) and 1/3C-H.
Eaton had somewhat of a difficut time trying to move away from the (w) brand identity and paralled the C-H and (w) products for a short time and finally dumped (w) name altogether going with C-H. And now they have been transitioning away from the C-H brand and appear to be going to EATON and dropping the C-H it appears.
It is a pain for them to have to put together a coordinated power center or substation when they had to out source the power transformers all of the time. (w) originally had all of the manufacturing capabilities to package their lineups internal through interunit transactions.

It's a good move on Eaton's part. It is interesting to watch things going in a complete circle, but instead of ABB where the (w) transformers went originally it will be Cooper it looks like.

templdl

Eaton will be in fact buying Cooper

Eaton will be in fact buying Cooper

I confirmed this with and Eaton guy, a good close friend golfing buddy of mine.
Eaton will be in fact completing the deal to buy Cooper in October.

I think it's a great move on Eaton's part. This whole thing started out with westinghouse back in the '90s when (w) started selling off there divisions. The small motor div. sold, the gears and gear motors sold then the Mediun (NEMA FRAME) motor div was sold, the Large motor div was sold off, the capacitor div sold, all of the gear above 35kv was sold, the meters were sold to weschler, the protective relays sold, the liquid and dry type power transformer sold to ABB.
What ever was left in 1995 was sold to Eaton fo $1.2B and conbined with its $.5B C-H div making C-H 2/3(w) and 1/3C-H.
Eaton had somewhat of a difficut time trying to move away from the (w) brand identity and paralled the C-H and (w) products for a short time and finally dumped (w) name altogether going with C-H. And now they have been transitioning away from the C-H brand and appear to be going to EATON and dropping the C-H it appears.
It is a pain for them to have to put together a coordinated power center or substation when they had to out source the power transformers all of the time. (w) originally had all of the manufacturing capabilities to package their lineups internal through interunit transactions.

It's a good move on Eaton's part. It is interesting to watch things going in a complete circle, but instead of ABB where the (w) transformers went originally it will be Cooper it looks like.

Because of FTC restrictions Cuttler Hammer was severely restricted in what parts of the business can they acquire from Westinghouse and what they couldn't. They were also restricted on product development to a preset time after the initial purchase. Sandy Cuttler is a business genius. (He also came to lead Eaton after Eaton acquired C&H) I just wish the Reliance motors would have wound up with them, but I guess they are in good hands with ABB/Baldor. Eaton still needs a good motor business.

I have bought a large number of packages from them and initially the transformers were always ABB - even though we required them to price it competitively - but lately they option quoted Cooper transformers with better pricing.

Last edited:

templdl

Because of FTC restrictions Cuttler Hammer was severely restricted in what parts of the business can they acquire from Westinghouse and what they couldn't. They were also restricted on product development to a preset time after the initial purchase. Sandy Cuttler is a business genius. (He also came to lead Eaton after Eaton acquired C&H) I just wish the Reliance motors would have wound up with them, but I guess they are in good hands with ABB/Baldor. Eaton still needs a good motor business.

I have bought a large number of packages from them and initially the transformers were always ABB - even though we required them to price it competitively - but lately they option quoted Cooper transformers with better pricing.

Westinghouse sold a lot of their divisions before negotiating with Eaton for the Distribution protection and Control business unit which was all that was left.
To be honest I have it on good authority when the negotiations started and it was after the other stuff had been already sold. I have it on good authority as I personally know the person who took the original phone call from the (W) VP's (Becherer's sp?)secretary in order to get Mr. Cutler's phone number, and that is a fact. I was very intregued that they didn't know Sandy Cutler's phone number.

The large motor Div I believe was sold to Teco, NEMA frame motors sold to reliance (as I recall (w) replace the NEMA frame motor line with a motor made in the far east Thailand? I can't remember, oil and dry type transformer to ABB, protective relays (to Basler?), analog meters to Wechsler, the small motors went to AO Smith as I can recall first back around 1984. They also sold off the puffer breakers to ABB (?), gear and gear motors went to Nutall and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Also, I don't believe the Reliance even kept the actual NEMA frame motor line but dropped it as it appeared as though they just wanted the Westinghouse motor market in order to expand their own motor manufacturing.
The Westinghouse NEMA frame motor in my opinion was second to none. It was not uncommon for them to be hand wound for the most part.
I still have what is called a "MAC" motor manual with all of the NEMA frame motor specifications.

SG-1

The relay division that was in Corral Springs, Florida went to ABB. The CO, HU, KLF, CVQ, & all the other Westinghouse electro-mechanical relays are still manufactured by them.

I think the nuclear division was still around when Eaton bought the Distribution & Control business unit.

Last edited:
The relay division that was in Corral Springs, Florida went to ABB. The CO, HU, KLF, CVQ, & all the other Westinghouse electro-mechanical relays are still manufactured by them.

I think the nuclear division was still around when Eaton bought the Distribution & Control business unit.

The story was interesting with the relays. The IQ relays stayed with the AMPGARD as they were essential components to it, but their development was put on ice for 5(?) years and C-H could not finish the development of the other, distribution type relays on the same chassie/electronics until the delay either.

What was disappointing to me is the abandonment of the ADVANTAGE intergated motor contactor. Even though they still selling it, but no further development was put into the technology. Instead they came out with their IT MCC line that is more compact, but technologically inferior IMO. To further confuse the issue, ABB also markets products with the IT marquee, so Eaton 'obsoleted' IT and came out with the XT. Sheeesh, what are they Square-D...er, pardon me: Schneider?!

They(C-H) were not neccessarily interested in motors, but for sure the loss of the transformers were a severe handicap. They got special pricing from ABB for years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.