Conduit in a conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
My opinion is if you run conductors from 310.104(A) and some are part of class 2 control circuit you have a violation.

If you run other cable systems like NM, UF, AC, MC and others inside a pipe the pipe is just a chase or sleeve and not a raceway and is no different than running the same cables in close proximity elsewhere.

If using 310.104(A) conductors plus another cable, or a raceway, you may be infringing on the fact you are not permitted to run conductors with other systems in the raceway. You would not run air, water, steam, or other systems in the raceway, this is kind of no different in a way.

bennosteve

permission from the AHJ

permission from the AHJ

In many cases that will not help. It is often a code violation to run the control conductors in the same raceway as the power conductors even if all of the conductors have the same voltage rating.

I think it is allowed BUT ONLY with permission from the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think it is allowed BUT ONLY with permission from the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction).
Then it should be in the way of a formal change or ammendment to the addopted code, not just a shot from some inspectors hip.

Roger

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
never understood the reasoning but buy a Generac home generator with a transfer panel (the one with breakers) and it will come with all conductors in the same conduit (flex) from the generator to the panel?

I agree. Most of the installation instructions I see on Generac generators that do not have the pre-wired flex requires a separate conduit for control circuits.

In this case, I would agree with others, use ENT or a listed flex to separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.