Generator class ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

IF a severage plant uses a generator when utility power is lost must it be classifieded as legally required or emergency generator ?
Does it matter ?
Thank you for the reply.

kwired

Electron manager
I think whether or not it is legally required depends on rules of any governing body that has jurisdiction over the operation.

I assume you meant sewage plant - department of health may have some say, department of environmental quality may have some say, electrical inspection AHJ only needs to know if it is deemed legally required by proper authority and enforce code accordingly, but should not be the one determining if it is legally required.

copper chopper

the only thing i have seen is how fast the generator would be required to come on-liine, this all depends on if there is a threat to people working there. if they loose power is there a chance that someone might get injured by machinery? or locked in somewhere? it might have to come on-line within 3 seconds or up to 10 seconds. this all has to be determined by someone of a higher pay grade than us,,,,,,

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Sewage plants are required to have two sources of power. If two lines come into the plant, they have to be from separate substations. That can be a trick but is dooable.

A generator can be used as the sceondary back-up source, but there are operational requirements that it must meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.