Know of a diabetic electrician?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfman56

Been feeling lousy for a long time now, found out why in February. At 56 I've become a type-2 diabetic. (10.5-A1C for those who know what that means.)
There is so much to learn and follow in order to stay at the proper levels, how often, and what you eat, it's mind boggling.

Being in construction has made it really hard to get with the program because every job has different levels of activity. And the meds make me a little dizzy, not good for working on ladders, and they also make me hurry to the crapper at times. Being on a construction site all day just doesn't seem right for someone who has to be constantly concerned with their blood glucose level.

What I'm wondering, is there any other diabetic electricians out there that have had a measure of success still "wearing the tools"?
I could use a little advice if there is. Driving home today I was feeling like I just can't take this any more.

RW

ron

I can't tell you directly, but my 11 year old son suggests testing often (every few hours) and adjust higher or lower as needed on a regular basis. Control is the key. My son has Type 1.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As a long time diabetic inspector, all I can suggest is that once you get your meds adjusted and a routine to your eating, the side effects are minimal. The first few weeks/month will be the worst from my experience.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Type 2, diet controlled. I am or was at very low end of being included as diabetic. Time for another check up though.

The cholesterol medicine the had me on is what made me dizzy and gave me the, well you know.

I had to quit climbing step ladders. With Dr approval I quit that medicine. Either that or quit working. Even walking at times. Legs just didn't work right.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
I've been Type 2 for 20+ years. Been through all the different meds, oral & injection. My only problem had been towards the end of the day not having hydrated enough. That caused a lot of nasty cramping in my hands and legs. VERY painfull!

Watch what you eat. Sugar is NOT your only enemy. Carbs. Sugar is a carb. Keep track of the amount of carbs you take in and that should help a great deal.

Besoeker

Being in construction has made it really hard to get with the program because every job has different levels of activity. And the meds make me a little dizzy, not good for working on ladders, and they also make me hurry to the crapper at times. Being on a construction site all day just doesn't seem right for someone who has to be constantly concerned with their blood glucose level.

I feel for you. I'm mildly diabetic according to blood tests. That, as far as I know, doesn't give me physical problems.
But I suffered ulcerative colitis for a very long time. Some unpleasant symptoms.
I've travelled bit and one thing I learned in a few different languages:
"Where's the crapper?"

Teaspoon

I have been diabetic for over 20 years. Diabetes is definately not easy to live with,But it is possiable you will learn over time to deal with it.
Keeping good control of your blood sugar numbers is important.
I test my blood every morning.watch your sugar intake and starchy foods,
Always try to have a snack near by in case the sugar drops low on you.
Hang in there you can do it! Best of luck.

Rewire

get you doctor to set an apointment with a diebetic educator. i am lucky to be married to a registerd dietician who keeps my diet in check along with medication.

GUNNING

40% of Americans will be diagnosed diabetic in next 10 yrs.

40% of Americans will be diagnosed diabetic in next 10 yrs.

My daughter is a type 1. Diet and exercise is the key. The more blood you get by your pancreas the more insulin is released. I have heard rumors a Vegan diet is very good. No meat cheese or milk products. These seem to block or interfere with the insulin receptors on cells. Stay away from High fructose corn syrup, its deadly stuff. If you look at 1960's photos before and after the introduction of HFCS there is a sizable difference in the population.
Yup no cheese burgers for lunch but there is a great vegie burger now. The older oral meds are hard on you. Mother in law just passed from the complications of the side effects, no kidneys left.
Vegan might be worth the look see. Might want to look into weight watchers to get a handle on diet and counting carbs. Keeping a food journal. It makes you more aware of what you consume, quantifies it. Check your glucose religiously and count your carbs 15g per serving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.