C-CONDULETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
;)
This section could use some work. In the example I provided lets say that the 2.5" C conduit body says MAX. 3-300 XHHW conductors, can I pull in 4 #4/0's?
Yes, it does need work. There are no provisions to let you put the four 4/0s in that conduit body. I am not sure how a code section could be written to let you do that. The rule for conductors #4 and larger is not based on the volume of the conductor, so how could we do a calculation that would let us use conductors other than what is marked on the fitting?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, it does need work. There are no provisions to let you put the four 4/0s in that conduit body. I am not sure how a code section could be written to let you do that. The rule for conductors #4 and larger is not based on the volume of the conductor, so how could we do a calculation that would let us use conductors other than what is marked on the fitting?

Good question. Best I could come up with would be to allow smaller conductors that don't exceed the area occupied by the conductor fill stated inside of the conduit body.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This whole business with conduit bodies is so poorly written that I just stay away from them if the conductors involved are #4 or larger.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good question. Best I could come up with would be to allow smaller conductors that don't exceed the area occupied by the conductor fill stated inside of the conduit body.
I don't see the area of the conductors as being the issue with the use of conduit bodies and conductors #4 and larger.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see the area of the conductors as being the issue with the use of conduit bodies and conductors #4 and larger.

I don't either but I was looking for something to spell out what can and cannot be done. As an example, if I can put in 3 conductors of one size then I should be able to safely pull in 6 conductors that are half that size. Makes absolutely no sense I know. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
yeah, the whole 8X thing is a bit daffy, IMHO. you have a condulet for a specific trade size,
it should be able to carry anything that trade size is allowed to carry. the 8X seems
to be an adaptation of the box rule to keep you from putting the inlet and exit conduit
right next to each other, making pulling impossible.

but a condulet is a listed, manufactured product, hence the design is approved by
the listing agency.

if i actually intend to use a C as a pull point, feeding, i get a piece of gutter instead.
if you use a 2" C as a pull point with the fill above 30%, i bet a cheeseburger you'll
only do it that one time. and possibly not even then.... :happysad:

But you can have a conduit body of any size filled with conductors smaller than 4 AWG and the 6X and 8X rules don't apply, same for pull and junction boxes. That is one reason you can find the short LB's but often don't use them unless all you are intending to pull is small conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't either but I was looking for something to spell out what can and cannot be done. As an example, if I can put in 3 conductors of one size then I should be able to safely pull in 6 conductors that are half that size. Makes absolutely no sense I know. :roll:
There has to be some method. What is the criteria the listing agency uses so the manufacturer can put the maximum size and number on the fitting?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
There has to be some method. What is the criteria the listing agency
uses so the manufacturer can put the maximum size and number on the fitting?

the simplest solution would be to have the allowable conductors written in
the inside of the body in the language of the manufacturing country.

if all this was written in chinese, it'd eliminate a lot of confusion on the part
of the inspectors. :p

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the simplest solution would be to have the allowable conductors written in
the inside of the body in the language of the manufacturing country.

if all this was written in chinese, it'd eliminate a lot of confusion on the part
of the inspectors. :p

這將不會工作,如果檢查員谷歌

(That won't work if the inspector has google :D )

kwired

Electron manager
I agree there has to be a better method of determining what conductors are allowed in a conduit body. There is not necessarily enough room to mark all the possible combinations that could be pulled through it, besides the place where they mark it becomes difficult for the inspector to read once conductors are installed so how can they tell you you have violated anything:)

Article 90.1

Three reasons I've seen or used C's used instead of pull boxes:
1. If there is an EGC other than the conduit you don't have to bond the C, but you would the pull box.
2. You may not have to support the C, the pull box will need support.
3. As someone already stated, an additional lube point.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
1. If there is an EGC other than the conduit you don't have to bond the C, but you would the pull box.
If the circuit conductors are not spliced or terminated in the pull box, then the EGC does not have to be bonded to the box.

kwired

Electron manager
2. You may not have to support the C, the pull box will need support.
3. As someone already stated, an additional lube point.

Don already said what I have to say on number 1

number 2 - the conduit body must be supported - it just doesn't have to have the support directly at the conduit body location - it is supported by raceways that must still be supported within 3 feet of the conduit body in most cases.

Article 90.1

number 2 - the conduit body must be supported - it just doesn't have to have the support directly at the conduit body location - it is supported by raceways that must still be supported within 3 feet of the conduit body in most cases.

Thank you for the correction.

RUWired

Crouse-hinds has a chart that allows wire sizes from # 4 awg up to 900 kcmil in the same condulet body. If all the manufactures would do the same, it would help all our installations.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...s/Resources/PDFs/Instruction sheets/IF964.pdf

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Crouse-hinds has a chart that allows wire sizes from # 4 awg up to 900 kcmil in the same condulet body. If all the manufactures would do the same, it would help all our installations.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...s/Resources/PDFs/Instruction sheets/IF964.pdf
That is a good step, but we would also need a code change. 314.28(A)(3) requires the marking to be on the conduit body itself. The manufacturers only list the maximum size for three conductors on the fitting.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

What code section requires support within 3' of a conduit body?

kwired

Electron manager
What code section requires support within 3' of a conduit body?
314.23(E) or (F).

Next someone will say those sections don't apply to conduit bodies, I think they do, read the first part of 314.23 and the exceptions to E and F - they seem to indicate it does apply to conduit bodies.

If only 2 conduit entries enter from same side the distance is reduced to 18".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
314.23(E) or (F).

Next someone will say those sections don't apply to conduit bodies, I think they do, read the first part of 314.23 and the exceptions to E and F - they seem to indicate it does apply to conduit bodies.

If only 2 conduit entries enter from same side the distance is reduced to 18".

A conduit body will only require support if it's larger than the trade size of the conduit when used with any of these raceways.

314.23(E) Raceway Supported Enclosure, Without Devices,
Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that does not
contain a device(s) other than splicing devices or support a
luminaire(s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported
by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3
(100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have
hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two
or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or
hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of
the enclosure, or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if
all conduit entries are on the same side.
Exception: The following wiring methods shall be permitted
to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit
body constructed with only one conduit entry, if the
trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the largest
trade size of the conduit or tubing:
(1) Intermediate metal conduit, Type IMC
(2) Rigid metal conduit, Type RMC
(3) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, Type PVC
(4) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit, Type RTRC
(5) Electrical metallic tubing, Type EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.