IEC Standard Acceptable per NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

I am intereted in using cast resin transformers (think GEOFOL) in the US. They do not have a UL listing but do have an IEC standard listing.

Does the National Electrcial code allow the use of IEC equipment (is IEC recognized as a qualified testing standard in the US)?

Thanks.
c

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
No.

IEC is not an independent testing agency. IEC is a set of standards that the manufacturer self-certifies to.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not sure what your question actually is.

You can use transformers made to IEC rather than NEMA (or whatever US) standards, if that is what you are asking.

I would point out that while in general transformers are not required to be listed, you might get some flack (from various sources) over using IEC style transformers and I seem to recall there are at least some cases where transformers are required to be listed.

I can't imagine why you would want to use an IEC transformer. Just getting one suitable for US electrical sources might well be an issue. You planning to have one shipped in from Europe or Asia? What possible benefit could you see in doing so?

Last edited:

cvirgil467

Cast resin transformers are much more compact than VPI or oil type of transformers which is the main reason why we are considering them. Cast resin type are starting to break into the US market and have been used overseas for a while now. I notcied that they are not UL listed or have not been tested to ANSI standards. I cannot locate anything in the NEC that would dis-allow their use. Is there text in the NEC that states electrical equipment is required to meet North American standards?

cvirgil467

This is cast resin, not cast coil type. There is a difference in construction. Check out Siemen's GEOFOL cast resin type of transformers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is cast resin, not cast coil type. There is a difference in construction. Check out Siemen's GEOFOL cast resin type of transformers.

The Siemens GEAFOL line of products seems to be identical to other cast coil and cast resin units, except for their use of 'aluminum foil' windings.

Status
Not open for further replies.