Submarine Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am working on a proposal for a project that would involve transmittal of power from an offshore wind turbine to the "main island." This will require running submarine cable. The waters are shallow, and the bottom is coral. Any suggestions for cable types? How about methods of securing the cable (i.e., dig a trench, or lay the cable on the coral and secure it with hold-down straps, or mount the cable on stanchions that are driven into the coral and are spaced close enough to keep the cable from touching the bottom)?

Anybody ever done this type of project before?

Is this living or dead coral? If it's living, I expect that there are all sorts of marine preservation reg's that would prevent cutting a trench or attaching cable to the coral at all.

That said, and with no direct experience in the matter, I expect that a sand-filled trench would be better. It would also be more expensive.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
For your proposal I think you will want to state an assumption that the cable protection zone is already approved. Based on that, you will have to decide your installation method. I do not believe burying it is going to be a viable option, probably have to consider articulated pipe for protection.

I have attached a link to some good general info.

enjoy~

http://www.iscpc.org/publications/About_SubPower_Cables_2011.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.