water pipe with 2 electrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
250.53(d)(2)
A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8).
Where the supplemental electrode is a rod, pipe, or plate type, it shall comply with 250.56.

250.66 A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types specified by 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8).

The way I understand this, is I need (2) electrodes every time a panel is being upgraded. Because usually an existing dwelling structure doesn't have other electrodes available.

Please confirm.

I just learned this yesterday. Its funny how I read a code section for million times and it doesn't click in, then one day....... i am thinking WHAT is this talking about?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO yes, when you upgrade service you need to bring the GES up to the current NEC requirments.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
IMO yes, when you upgrade service you need to bring the GES up to the current NEC requirments.

I agree it has to conform to the current standard. I just didn't know (2) rods are required. Of course unless a <25 ohms can be proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.