Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
When was 230.33 added? I hear some saying service wires can't be spliced, yet can't get a good answer when I ask what happens when a service conductor is cut by shovel or equipment.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
When was 230.33 added? I hear some saying service wires can't be spliced, yet can't get a good answer when I ask what happens when a service conductor is cut by shovel or equipment.

As far as I can remember, you could always splice service conductors. Are you going to make me dig out old books to find out when 230.33 came?:)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I don't know but I don't think they were ever not intended to be allowed to be spliced.

That was my feeling also. I searched the forum and came up with a couple of things, including a post I responded to and a question or two regarding this subject. The problem is when an inspector is telling me I can't splice an unfused wire.
There was one poster that wanted the rule to disallow spliced service conductors be put back, I was curious as to when it wasn't allowed. I just couldn't see how it can be unspliced in some circumstances.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
As far as I can remember, you could always splice service conductors. Are you going to make me dig out old books to find out when 230.33 came?:)

I read in an old post 1996 or earlier, I don't have those.
Stupid me threw out old code books when new ones came out...

texie

Occupation
I read in an old post 1996 or earlier, I don't have those.
Stupid me threw out old code books when new ones came out...

OK-did a quick trip to the basement NEC archive. Prior to '96, it was allowed by only certain exceptions in 230.46. In '96, 230.46 was changed to allow it without exception as long as it was done in an approved manner. Not sure when it was moved to 230.33. Did not completely research the whole history.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
OK-did a quick trip to the basement NEC archive. Prior to '96, it was allowed by only certain exceptions in 230.46. In '96, 230.46 was changed to allow it without exception as long as it was done in an approved manner. Not sure when it was moved to 230.33. Did not completely research the whole history.

Thanks, that gives me a starting point. Maybe I can find some older books at work in the A.M.

fmtjfw

You also need to check with your local power company. They often will not allow splices in service conductors. They will allow splice between the service lateral or the service drop only. A spliced service conductor can ring (service theft) bells in their heads.

iwire

Staff member

Keep in mind the NEC only applies on the customer side of the service point.

fmtjfw

NEC has got several names for the conductors.

NEC has got several names for the conductors.

You also need to check with your local power company. They often will not allow splices in service conductors. They will allow splice between the service lateral or the service drop only. A spliced service conductor can ring (service theft) bells in their heads.

To be precise I should have said "Service-Entrance Conductors" The service lateral is generally not under the jurisdiction of the NEC.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Keep in mind the NEC only applies on the customer side of the service point.

I understand that, and I have put many in on the PoCo side, as you can imagine. I have installed a few on the NEC side also.
We have some padmounts that are metered at the XF, and the customer owns and is responsible for the wire going to their house from the XF. Like I stated earlier, I have had an inspector tell me I can't splice an unfused wire. I asked him about 230.33, and asked him what a customer was to do when their line was cut in the yard. I still haven't gotten a response from him yet.

texie

Occupation
I understand that, and I have put many in on the PoCo side, as you can imagine. I have installed a few on the NEC side also.
We have some padmounts that are metered at the XF, and the customer owns and is responsible for the wire going to their house from the XF. Like I stated earlier, I have had an inspector tell me I can't splice an unfused wire. I asked him about 230.33, and asked him what a customer was to do when their line was cut in the yard. I still haven't gotten a response from him yet.

I think the inspector is wrong. Art. 230.33 clearly allows for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.