Replacement of burnt meters and service and feeder conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

I am from outside of the USA. We do however enfore the NEC as our local electrical code. We have a single electrical supply who is requesting to replace meters and main feeders without the requirement of an electrical approval. We are abit uneasy about allowing this and I thought I would ask the following questions;

1. I would like to know what is the regular practise in the industry for the replacement of meterbases if one of the lugs are curroded. Is a electrical inspection required for this?

2. Is an electrical inspection usually required for replacing meterbases and/or conductors that have burnt out due to electrical fire.

Does the NEC make any specifications as to theses situations.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am from outside of the USA. We do however enfore the NEC as our local electrical code. We have a single electrical supply who is requesting to replace meters and main feeders without the requirement of an electrical approval. We are abit uneasy about allowing this and I thought I would ask the following questions;

1. I would like to know what is the regular practise in the industry for the replacement of meterbases if one of the lugs are curroded. Is a electrical inspection required for this?

2. Is an electrical inspection usually required for replacing meterbases and/or conductors that have burnt out due to electrical fire.

Does the NEC make any specifications as to theses situations.

generally speaking, the meters belong to the utility company and are usually outside of the scope of the NEC.

fmtjfw

Inspection required here.

Inspection required here.

Here the power company (POCO) would require an inspection and a signed tag before they would reconnect a service with a damaged meter socket that had been replaced. We have city inspectors and no formal inspection outside the city limits.
We replaced a 480V meter socket outside the city limits and we had to engage a private, licensed inspector who signed off on the inspection before the POCO would turn the power back on (close the primary fuse on the transformer).

This was work done by and for a governmental entity that is normally immune to inspection requirements.

There is nothing in the NEC that controls this. It is specified by the POCO with the approval of the Public Service Commission (PSC) (State government authority). The POCO publishes a booklet with their requirements approved by the PSC. In the US most utilities are regulated and publish "Tarriffs" that cover their rates and rules for service. These are the documents approved by the PSC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Here the power company (POCO) would require an inspection and a signed tag before they would reconnect a service with a damaged meter socket that had been replaced. We have city inspectors and no formal inspection outside the city limits.
We replaced a 480V meter socket outside the city limits and we had to engage a private, licensed inspector who signed off on the inspection before the POCO would turn the power back on (close the primary fuse on the transformer).

This was work done by and for a governmental entity that is normally immune to inspection requirements.

There is nothing in the NEC that controls this. It is specified by the POCO with the approval of the Public Service Commission (PSC) (State government authority). The POCO publishes a booklet with their requirements approved by the PSC. In the US most utilities are regulated and publish "Tarriffs" that cover their rates and rules for service. These are the documents approved by the PSC.

How did the PSC get authority to require local inspectors to do these inspections? Since local inspectors can only inspect stuff within their legally defined scope, just how can the PSC override state law?

fmtjfw

How did the PSC get authority to require local inspectors to do these inspections? Since local inspectors can only inspect stuff within their legally defined scope, just how can the PSC override state law?

Because the Tarriff approved by the PSC (state) requires an inspection of the service entrance up to and including the disconnect and grounding and bonding. I guess the State outranks the Counties.

As a part of county government, the school system is not "inspectable" by the city inspectors, I guess county outranks city.

I find the whole thing very stupid. Of all the buildings in the county that should be inspected the schools are right up there in the list. This put onto me and my fellow electricians the added duty of "self-inspection". I always try to do good, Code compliant work, but a set of independent eyes is a good crosscheck. The only inspection is the State Fire Marshals. There are fewer Marshals than counties. Three electricians, 12 month contracts, 22 campuses. Fire Marshal annual inspection 1-2 days for all buildings. Most Fire Marshals come up from fire service. One or two with Electrical Inspector experience. The Marshal's office hires my buddy and another guy as contractors to do "heavy-duty" inspections and electrical fire stuff.

KasseemF

I believe i should have been more specific. The power company actually wanted to replace old meterbases. I know that meters are the jurisdiction of the supplier however don't they need inspection before that can change a meterbase?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because the Tarriff approved by the PSC (state) requires an inspection of the service entrance up to and including the disconnect and grounding and bonding. I guess the State outranks the Counties.

I wonder if this requirement has any actual legal force. I can understand why the POCO might want to pawn this duty off on someone else though, and they usually have a lot of clout with the state regulators.

Status
Not open for further replies.