Outdoors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I've been asked to price a job for a Deck remodel. The new Deck is on the back of the House covered by a shingled roof. The Deck is 40' x 12'. The door to the House in in the middle of the 40' section. There are 8 recess lights and three ceiling fan outlets. I've been asked if the three switches can be located on the outside wall by the door to the House instead of the inside.

Right off the top of my head I don't see this as a problem, but before I quote this I would like to get some opinions on the switch location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You must use a wp cover and the switch can be anywhere you want to install it.

I will say this-- I had a screen porch built 25 years ago on my home that is 16x16 and all the switches and recep. do not have a wp plate and I have yet to have a problem with them. I don't get this rule, imo it is bogus.

masterinbama

SO by design the switches would be at least 12' under a roof? I would put them in with a regular cover and explain to the HO that the inspector might make you change it to WP. I would have the WP cover on hand when he comes out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SO by design the switches would be at least 12' under a roof? I would put them in with a regular cover and explain to the HO that the inspector might make you change it to WP. I would have the WP cover on hand when he comes out.

IMO 12' under a roof makes them a damp location so it needs to be damp rated not wet rated.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
A friend (The one with AFCI breakers the builders tripped daily...) just finished having his house rebuilt post-fire.

On the screened, roofed, porch facing the bay, he has GFI outlets on the house side with those new rainhoods. But there are no gaskets as in the past. Last storm with typical horizontal rain, it got into the one box and started a fire, fortunately confined to the box.

He thought about it, and put the replacement GFI outlet indoors, one outlet upstream.

He asked me why the electricians said "Gaskets are no longer allowed..." I gave him my best Mechanics Shrug?......

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I can't believe that we still argue over wet/damp. If the cover is approved for wet, it's approved for damp, but not the other way around, but I've never seen a damp rated plug or switch cover, only fixtures.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can't believe that we still argue over wet/damp. If the cover is approved for wet, it's approved for damp, but not the other way around, but I've never seen a damp rated plug or switch cover, only fixtures.

Who's arguing. :)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Who's arguing. :)

Well I'll give you that. But still if it's outside under a 100' x 100' cover it's still a damp location at the least.

Even if the AHJ apporoves a regular cover plate, you know that you'll have to replace that switch within a few years if not sooner depending on where you live.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well I'll give you that. But still if it's outside under a 100' x 100' cover it's still a damp location at the least.

Even if the AHJ apporoves a regular cover plate, you know that you'll have to replace that switch within a few years if not sooner depending on where you live.

Did you read my post #4 the second part

I will say this-- I had a screen porch built 25 years ago on my home that is 16x16 and all the switches and recep. do not have a wp plate and I have yet to have a problem with them. I don't get this rule, imo it is bogus.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It must first be decided what location the switches in question fall under (dry, damp or wet). IMO since there covered by 12' of overhang then they're in a damp location. So now you need to find a switch that's at least rated for damp locations. If no one makes such a thing then as John said you'll need a wet location switch or a combination of a standard switch with a wet location cover.

So are standard snap switches and standard switch plates listed for dry locations only?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Did you read my post #4 the second part

Look, I've been doing this a long time and as with any plumber, mechanic or electrician, I have stuff that needs fixed. I have two GFCI outlets that had the nice bubble cover on them until my dog broke it off two years ago and the sprinklers hit them and the rain can hit them and neither one of them has ever tripped and I would consider them to be wet location.

We're supposed to be code professionals here and I'm simply giving the correct answer to the question, doesn't mean it's the right one.:happyno:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I gave the correct answer also but I am allowed to believe it is a bad rule under the canopy as posted. One in the yard is a no brainer. I also don't see the danger involved if the switch should fail.

north star

$ $

IMO, the dimension of 12 ft. does not matter......The AHJ will
determine what is a damp or what is a wet location....."Where
subject to moderate degrees of moisture" could also mean that,
on occasion, the rain will blow sideways and reach the outlets.

$ $

Status
Not open for further replies.